EAS Fault

dave88sw

I knew i wouldn't get away with owning a P38 without some dramas...

Bought it about a month ago and put 4 new dunlop airsprings on within the first few days.  It then sat for 2 weeks untouched and didn't drop an inch.  I've used it daily for 2 weeks, every morning it fires up and doesn't need to raise at all, compressor runs once and shuts off as expected.  I can confidently say there are no leaks, it doesn't drop and the reservoir must hold pressure as it'll rise from access height to ride height in seconds first thing in the morning (i know most people say don't use access height but i need to in order to get my mum in and out).

So, yesterday i drove it about 150 miles and all was fine, couple of stops dropping it and raising back up all fine, got in it today, drove about 4 miles and EAS Fault flashes up on the dash.  It didn't drop and didn't give the "max speed 35mph" warning either.  It would not respond to the dash buttons but was still periodically running the compressor and levelling slightly. Went back out to it about 15 minutes later and it's all working perfectly.

I have noticed a couple of times sat in park with the engine running, the compressor will run 3 cycles and the car will dip half an inch and level again but didn't think much of it.

So, i've just ordered 4 manual inflation valves to keep in the glovebox but what should i be looking for if it happens again? 

Thanks

Dave

Thanks John, appreciate it.  Took it out again tonight, starts off all working fine but compressor doesn't stop running, eventually flashes up eas fault, presumably when the compressor overheats.  I'm guessing it's struggling to build pressure so i'll stick a rebuild kit in it before going any further.  I'll stop using it for now.

Can't really blame it, i think the previous owner ran it for months/years with leaking springs.

IMG_20180220_173903_resized_20180318_101703311.thumb.jpg.c3476ee13036e081ef1f8decee689df7.jpg

15 hours ago, dave88sw said:

I have noticed a couple of times sat in park with the engine running, the compressor will run 3 cycles and the car will dip half an inch and level again but didn't think much of it.

That's just the Range Rover dance. They do that.

It sounds like you had a soft fault. Those reset after turning off the ignition (or cycling power to the EAS ECU). A soft fault can be something like a height sensor error.

Do you have an EAS cable and the software?

As long as it doesn't drop down to the bumpstops, you can just unplug the relay under the seat or pull the fuse, and you'll get home. The emergency inflation kit is only necessary if it drops down.

I don't personally have any diagnostics yet, i'm trying to justify the cost of a nanocom to myself but i know a very knowledgeable man with testbook...

It got me home fine and appears to still be trying to build pressure, it has stayed up all night too, the inflation kit is just for peace of mind in the future if it fails miles from home.  As i say though, the compressor is running far too often (last trip i don't think it stopped at all) and with it's history a rebuild kit won't hurt.  It might well be something else but the compressor has been on the to-do list anyway. 

Thanks

Just for reference the britpart bagged height sensors i got were actually genuine dunlop when they arrived, and LH and RH are interchangeable (not front to rear though). The connectors on the ends of the loom are the same as the defender lamps from vehicle wiring products.

http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/873/connector-plug-for-nas-lamps-led-signal-lamps

Pete

Edited by pete3000