Fuel Nozzle ISO Standard

Dave W

Might seem a bit "off the wall" but I don't suppose anyone has access to the standards document for filler nozzles (ISO 1959:1988) ?

I'm trying to improve the filler for my auxiliary tank as it's currently a bit temperamental due to the angles of the filler neck tube and it seems that the dimensions and angle of a standard filler nozzle on the forecourt is a state secret that can only be unlocked by spending upwards of £40 and even then may not contain the info I need !

At this rate I can see me taking some foam or similar down to the local petrol station and trying to take an imprint that I can measure but it seems ridiculous that this information is copyright and you have to pay to see it.

Not sure it is a state secret - but I do know that ventilation of the tank - lack of - that causes blow back air pressure very, very often causes the nozzle to stop as they are very, very sensitive.

I don't have it, or anything similar, but I'd be interested to know what you find Dave - I've got to come up with a filler entry for the Ibex at some point, which raises the same questions for me.

1 hour ago, Arjan said:

Not sure it is a state secret - but I do know that ventilation of the tank - lack of - that causes blow back air pressure very, very often causes the nozzle to stop as they are very, very sensitive.

It's not ventilation that's causing it in this case, it's the way the nozzle presents into the filler neck. The filler neck is either too short or at the wrong angle which means that the fuel is splashing back from the wall of the filler tube into the sensor pipe. As well as causing the pump to cut out it also means fuel spills out of the filler. If I can get the angle and curve of the neck right then the nozzle, when fully home, will be pointing directly down to the tank so should fill cleanly... in theory !

Already been down that route, hence my frustration that the standard spec for something used throughout the world is held to ransom by a single body. Not even the Chinese and Russian sites seem to have a free copy and they're not usually averse to a bit of copyright infingement !

Mind, the time I've spent searching the internet I could have just paid for the spec and earnt more ! It's the principle though :)

I think I may have a solution though... I found a few free to download CAD models, am printing one out now and will take it to the petrol station tomorrow to see if it matches.

• Like 1

This is plan B, although I'd still love to get hold of the official specs !

I printed this based on a CAD model, the model looks to be based on one of the large diesel nozzles (high speed truck filler) as it's a bigger diameter than the usual none commercial diesel filler on the forecourt. Given that we regularly filled up the rear tank from truck pumps in the past I figure it'd be worth trying to get it to fit the auxiliary filler too.

If it looks right against a pump tomorrow I'll print out a normal diesel version (23.8 mm) too.

IMG_7585.thumb.JPG.74f624bcc07da181be2878f7d5f3c25e.JPG

1 hour ago, ThreeSheds said:

maybe i am missing something - can't you just photograph the nozzle held against some graph paper?

I have tried something similar but it didn't work out too well last time, hence the issues with filling as a result ! According to my paper model the nozzle should be able to fully locate into the neck... but it doesn't.

If I'm going to go for a redesign I'd rather get it right and, preferably, suitable for all nozzles. The ISO standard should lay out the exact parameters used which the nozzle manufacturers stick to.

If the dimensions of the CAD model I've printed out doesn't match the nozzles at the petrol station then that would suggest either the model was incorrect (always possible) or there is some wiggle room in the standard. In which case I might well take some graph paper with me as plan C !

Edited by Dave W

26 minutes ago, zardos said:

And a Swedish site give a preview https://www.sis.se/api/document/preview/8697/

Seems this is the unleaded standard, it sound like you want the unleaded/diesel standard which they don't have a preview of.

Good find ! That will probably be enough as I think the only difference between them is the diameter of the nozzle which I already have as 23.8mm for normal forecourt diesel and 28mm for commercial diesel.

I'll compare that to the model I downloaded and see if they match...

Yes probably only diameter difference, but you mentioned using truck pumps.
From reading in Europe they will probably be to EN 13012 standard (a preview of this was on the Swedish site)
And they had 2 types of nozzle
Type I as per ISO design for up to 80l/min
Type II for 80 to 200 l/min (they started to set out the design in the doc from the looks of it)

So a truck pump might be a Type II design

I'll probably concentrate on the "normal" nozzles and design around those but give some extra space just in case. As we're almost exclusively in the UK/Europe at the moment it's less of an issue anyway.

It was more an issue when we were in Australia as they often have "truck" style pumps on the forecourt and many times it was really handy to be able to use them for the rear tank. Sadly it's unlikely we'll get back to Australia with the 90 so it's more of a "would be nice to have" than a requirement.