Please talk me out of buying this L322

FridgeFreezer

I happened across this in my travels around eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253382631571

And (fuel costs aside) it seems like quite a reasonably priced runabout... and yet the sensible molecule of my brain KNOWS there is no such thing as a cheap Range Rover.

So, come on, you lot must know all the things that will go wrong and cost vast amounts of money to sort out. Talk me out of it! :P

As for fuel costs, I'm still adjusting to my commute going from 100 miles to 22 miles so evidently my brain is trying to compensate for the fuel saving :ph34r:

• Haha 1

That's not cheap in my opinion. I have just bought a 2003 TD6 Vogue for 3,800. Bit higher on the mileage tho. I am so pleasantly surprised how well it goes as compared to the p38  which can't quite beat a snail!!  Mpg 25 mixed driving so not bad at all.

L322s have dropped in price a lot over the last couple of years, you get a lot of vehicle for that money ! The only downside to them really, even when compared to the P38, is that they are horrendously complex - brilliant when they work but an absolute PITA and spendy when something goes wrong.

They do go well though and are a world apart from previous Range Rovers, I thought my P38 was a nice car until I got an L322 and realised what I'd been missing. Go for it !

I'm the last person to talk anyone out of buying anything, so I say go for it Mr FF! My brother had a 2005 model of one of these which he bought at about 5 years old (the vehicle, not my brother). He ran it for a few years and loved it. He still regrets selling it. 

Also, the seller guarantees

• No Pressure to buy from our salemans

So, there's one less worry. :lol:

Some things are cheaper on the L322's than they were on P38's. Yesterday I replaced a body computer to fix the power steering on a TD6, the BCM was about £220+Vat retail. I thing the last P38 BECM I replaced for an insurance job was about £800+vat.

Let's be different : This is not a good idea !!!!

Stay away from it. Financial minefield. Source of utter frustration and long talks with bank manager.

So, said the sensible thing.

Go for it - be brave ! :ph34r:

I'd say that's expensive for what it is, and with anything modified you don't know what other horrors are lurking... Coil spring conversions don't seem to that common either, who knows what the ride is like afterwards?? What state is the paint under that vinyl?

I umm'ed and ahh'd about a 322 about 18 months ago, and actually bought one just under a year ago (2010MY 3.6 TDV8 - the last of the 3.6s with the LCD dash). It really is a fantastic car!

I'd be interested to know what people consider is a good price for that L322. It feels to me like someone's done it up to pose in a bit rather than actually go off-road, and they're hoping someone will pay over the odds for the looks... which I'm certainly not about to do.

I was kinda wondering if, after they've got bored looking at it on their forecourt, they might take a low bid as it's cheaper than trying to put it back to standard.

Personally, the L322 annoys me. Can't see out of the mirrors, the door locks are BMW style (yes, I unlocked it, I'd like the rear doors to be too), and there's sod all driving feel.

Maybe it's better with a V8, I'm sure that makes up for a lot of the shortcomings. But I'd take another P38 over an L322 any day.

The coil conversion would be what puts me off that one. The air bags are pretty reliable on the L322's and a compressor is only £300 and 20 mins to fix - not sure why you would want to lose the ride comfort and ability to change ride height.

I have an identical car to -jon- as I couldn't quite stretch to a 4.4 TDV8 but lanted the later LCD dash. had mine for 2 and a half years now and love it. It replaced an 02 4.4 V8 petrol which had started to suffer electrical problems.

Main thing I prefer about the drive of my TDV8 is the gearbox - the 5 speed petrol never seemed to be in the right gear, whereas the higher torque of the diesel and the extra gear make it a more refined drive. having said that I would take a petrol Bmw V8 over the TD6 any day.

Don't buy that one - but do go and buy one!

I haven't had much dealings with them, but sold one for a customer a few months ago.  It drove way nicer than a P38 and the interior is a different world,  never liked that wierd hard plasticy heavy feeling of P38s.  I'd certainly entertain one at the right price, and it's not like you're going to worried about dealing with broken sensors here and there. 

That particular one on the ebay ad screams problems to me though, it's been tarted up to flog and hasn't had the money spent in maintenance, hence a cheap wrap and bang some coils on. Not particularly cheap either.  A mate of mine just picked up a very tidy one for less than 1500.  

I'm not a fan of the L322, and this one looks like a very poor example! The coil conversion alone means it's unlikely to have gotten the care it deserved/needed.

If you have an itch for an L322, go and drive one. I know plenty of people that are very happy with it. Like Elbekko, I'm not one of them, but then I dislike everything remotely modern. To each his/her own. ;) 

Filip

There's a certain type of cretin who can abuse a car in such a way that it doesn't outwardly seem irreversible, but over time [and lots of expensive therapy sessions] you realise it has ever deepening emotional issues as if doesn't want to be helped. 

That car smacks of cretin :lol:

OK well I'd say go for one. Just possibly not that one. Each to everyone's taste but the wrap is hideous in my opinion, I'd lose the 20" wheels, I still find the 19" on mine big but don't really have an option with Brembos up front. Coil conversion is questionable for me.

In terms of costs, they, in my experience tend to hit you when you least want it, but having said that actually in the grand scheme of things if services are kept on top of and you drive it (they like being driven) then they can be reliable.

I paid £16k for my TDV8 with 90k and a year's warranty. Had fuel pump go (tank one, under warranty), alternator (known weakness on the TDV8, did that myself, fiddly but doable and saved about £800 in labour doing so). Got water in the transfer box (had just done Strata with water a bit deeper than I should have done). Ran out of time so had a garage to look at (didn't know it was water in the transfer box at the time). Was quite expensive but took 3 days to find the problem... Now I've done it they know in future just drop the oil if those symptoms occur :blush:. Had front air bags replaced at 130k as they developed a leak. Preemptively replaced EGRs (myself so just a couple of hundred in parts) due to fault code and saved risking damaging or writing off the engine.

But for the last 50k just been fuel and services. Wouldn't hesitate in getting in it tomorrow morning and driving to the Highlands or south of France / Spain / Portugal. Only problem is its so easy to drive I tend to nod off. With the TDV8 and ZF 6 speed it'll average 30 on a cruise so not that bad on fuel.