Wiper gearbox

Pulling the dash out has provided a treasure trove of possible jobs. My wipers do occasionally park randomly up the dash so I was thinking new gearboxes for them. Where is the best place to get the from? Everything seems to be in a blue box priced £8- £26 that I have found.

I've got a couple of later puma wiper boxes here from Allmakes - they look good quality.  Going to see if I can swap them for my earlier ones as they don't use the annoying separate splined spindle to hold the wiper arm on, just needs the later arms. 

Genuine wheelboxes are cheap and easily available - they would be my vote after poor experiences with aftermarket ones.

The later (2002-on) wheelboxes with the threaded spindles have a different sized gear and so the sweep will be different, if fitting to an older vehicle you will need to update the crank gear in the wiper motor at the same time to maintain the swept range of the arms. The rest of the motor is the same.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2018 at 10:23 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Genuine wheelboxes are cheap and easily available - they would be my vote after poor experiences with aftermarket ones.

The later (2002-on) wheelboxes with the threaded spindles have a different sized gear and so the sweep will be different, if fitting to an older vehicle you will need to update the crank gear in the wiper motor at the same time to maintain the swept range of the arms. The rest of the motor is the same.

The earlier motor does actually run slower than the later type motor- If you use the later wheelboxes on an earlier motor and update the crankgear, the wiper speed is slower than a newer motor - my Puma 90 slow speed setting is almost as fast as my updated 300tdis fast setting.