Lost diesel tank filler cap td5

pantherslover

Hello, a few days ago I was thinking about filling up the diesel tank. I took the cap off and thought what a stupid design, no where to put the cap while filling. Anyhow, i decided to place it on top of the light guard on the rear stop/tail light lens. Then I set about looking for a funnel. When I finally found one and decided it was to dodgy to avoid spilling diesel, it had started raining so I decided to do it later on. Somehow I forgot to put the filler cap back on. Then I decided to go to the local bar 900m away to collect my dog. Suffice to say that next morning I noticed the filler cap missing.

I have searched extensively for this without success.  I need a psychiatrist to tell me why I'm bothered about this lockable cap.

I don't lose hope of finding it but until now, nothing.

Any psychiatrists out there? Please help its driving me crazy.

Ashley.

IMG-20180313-WA0005.jpeg

I know, i could have made a few hundred quid on the shares whilst looking for a small black lockable filter cap. What really gets me is that this is the first time to attempt to pour diesel in and i lose the fffing cap, what's worse is I didn't even put the diesel in it.

I'm beating my self up for my own carelessness and stupidity.

The cap must be somewhere, it couldn't just fly away.

In going to put a similar item on the light guard and drive out of my 400 m track to the road and see where it falls off. These defenders are so damn stable that you wouldn't believe the cap didn't fall off the instant that i drove away.

As I said, i don't give up hope, but maybe it's easier to get another one. I think they're only a few quid. ( land rover dealer?)

IMG-20180310-WA0042.jpeg

The later Puma caps are available with a tether for you forgetful types 😊 requires the drilling of a 6mm hole IIRC. Lord knows what the part No. is but I'm sure someone will be along presently with a number for you. 

HTH

Mo

• Like 1

Modelled by a grey Td5....

5ab8d6c52e990_FillerCap.thumb.jpg.b9d7ef1ef912113bd83852e013c98021.jpg

As an elderly uncle type person I lost the original filler cap by leaving it on the wheel carrier after getting fuel in an attended station in Italy...

The normal process was broken and as I'd paid I assume the one of us had re-fitted the filler cap.... Oops...

Does the job nicely...

• Like 2

For some reason i failed.

I'm using a home made one utilising a jam jar lid, a plastic milk bottle top a small plastic bag and a Fanta bottle cap.

I'm a bit daft. I'm still holding out how that it will show up in this square kilometre that the vehicle hasn't left yet. Still no insurance or itv (mot) instituto técnico vehículos

On 26/03/2018 at 1:38 PM, Retroanaconda said:

On all the ones I’ve had experience of the key stays in the cap until it’s locked again, making it impossible to forget it as you can’t drive off without the keys.

The tether is a good idea :)

Unfortunately, the ones on the TD5 the key can be removed when unlocked.... Hence they get lost !

(Same for the tethered one)

Im still holding out hope that it will still be found.

It may have the useless td5 cap that can be lost without the keys, but it certainly doesn't have little legs which sprout and enable it to walk off.

I'm going to go with the  tether option when I've decided what to do.

• 3 months later...

Where was it?

i once left mine at the fuel station - I filled it up, went home and then noticed the following morning. I remembered having put it on the top of the pump.  I went back feeling very foolish - but when I asked inside if anyone had found it the very disinterested chap behind the counter sighed, reached down and pulled out a huge cardboard box - full to the top with petrol caps. My idiocy was contextualised 😊 and after a few minutes trying the key in a number of them, I had mine back.

• Like 1

Interestingly this was something I was picked up on in the IVA. The regs state the cap must be tethered or the key must not come out when open. However mine has a flap so the key could stay in the flap but you still loose the cap. I tethered mine to pass.

Mike

• Like 1

Wonder how you trained those cows to go out and look for that cap.....

We usu have the Goldens go out to fetch whatever I loose.

Well Done !

Are you an aussie then mike ? Here in Spain it's called ITV which is kind of similar.

The cap was on my driveway and had become covered by silt and debris in the heavy rains. My track turns into a river when this happens. I just happened to notice some black plastic and ventured to pick it up and it turned out to be the cap. God seems to be favouring me again as i was headbutted by a 500 kg bull last week and the horns didn't touch me , i think he did it with love. I think he realised he needs me to get the sacks of feed out of the van. Keys and locks are a bugger to operate with hooves.

A mate of mine lost the cap to his coolant expansion tank, whilst his bonnet was up I noticed it embedded in the sound deadening on the underside of the bonnet :) He'd obviously taken it off to top up and then left it resting somewhere when he shut the bonnet. 

I've found lost air filter box clips (RRC EFI style) resting on the chassis of a mate's 90, after he'd lost them 6 months previous and done all sorts of silly off roading in that time.