Transmission/4wd issues

sixtwoeight

1980 Series 3, has been unused for nearly 30 years, I have replaced the rear half chassis, recomissioned brakes and generally tidied it and thought I was home and dry.

Drove it for the first time today and when engaging first gear 95% of the time unless you hold the gear lever forward it will half jump out of gear when pulling away leaving a gear on gear grating sound, reverse engages nicely and pulls away no problem. As far as I can tell all other gears seem ok.  Any ideas on the problem?

Low range works ok.

Yellow knob..the external linkage moves but it doesn't seem to positively engage anything, moving from hi to low and back does not release the yellow linkage, so it isn't doing whatever it should internally?? Where do I start with that?

Any pointers will be appreciated...oh the engine smokes, a lot....? (Oily, petroly not white).

Thanks

Edited by sixtwoeight

Re the smoke - is the choke sticking?  Carb flooding? Burning oil gives blue smoke, too rich a mixture gives black smoke.

1st gear - could be worn detent springs on the synchro.

Yellow knob - is the spring in place?  It doesn't really feel if it engages anything normally.  Does 4 WD engage OK in low ratio?  To test if 4 WD is engaged, park up with the handbrake on, lift a front wheel off the ground and try turning it by hand.  If you can't then 4  WD is engaged.  Expect some backlash, engage free-wheeling hubs if fitted!!

Edited by rtbarton

Thanks for the reply,

Its a brand new carb but I will check the choke, I have a feeling its burning oil, anything I can do?  I assume the MOT man wont like it?

what sort of a job is it to replace the detent springs?

Yellow knob, The spring and the small cover where the lever comes through are missing, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit if they aren't fitted?  Il jack it up tomorrow and see if it engages.  Does anyone have any pictures of how the lever should look with the spring etc..?

If it's oil it could be piston rings or the rubber seals on the valve guides, you need to do a compression test to see which.  Remove the rocker cover and do a visual inspection of the valve stems - you might see the O-rings are damaged or missing.  It will fail the MOT on excessive smoke.

Replacing the synchro detent springs is a gearbox overhaul.  It may be worth a look to see if the gear lever selector detents are OK, if the gear lever is dropping out of position it could disengage the gear, but unlikely.  When you hold the gear lever in place can you feel it pushing against your hand as it drops out of gear?

The spring and that little cover are essential for the correct operation of the yellow knob.  The bottom of the spring sits on the little cover, the top goes under the knob itself.  IIRC there should be a ferrule that the spring sits on.

You can download parts and maintenance manuals from  t'web.

Edited by rtbarton
Correction

Thanks again, il check the compression.

I cannot feel the gear lever pushing back against my hand, it only needs a little pressure to hold it there.

Il obtain the missing parts for the 4 wheel drive selection lever before I jump to any more conclusions.

Also, try the main shaft nut, access from the PTO hole, if loose can cause gears to pop out. It's a castle nut, so is often tightened by chisel, and is a serious torque setting. 

8 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Also, try the main shaft nut, access from the PTO hole, if loose can cause gears to pop out. It's a castle nut, so is often tightened by chisel, and is a serious torque setting. 

Thanks gazzar I will try that today.  I was searching last night and found a thread which I think was by you, which was rebuilding  a series 3box but very annoyingly photobucket has well and truly ruined it. I'm guessing you don't have the time/inclination to rehost the photos?

I have taken the top off the gearbox and everything to my untrained eye looks ok with the springs and balls, the springs seem to have good tension.

I don't know the correct terminology so apologies for that but here goes.

Looking at the middle selector shaft (for first and second), and looking back down into the box the selector fork locates onto a ring with internal teeth, the teeth are not the shape I would have thought, although they do look regular so wondering whether it looks correct or not.

20180325_093359.jpg

20180325_094245.jpg

20180325_094321.jpg

20180325_094337.jpg

The teeth are shaped that way so that the sliding bit can slide into the other bit easily.  If they were shaped like conventional gear teeth there's a chance they could engage point to point and not slide in.  Once the sliding bit is home it's held in place by detent balls and springs inside the synchro hub and it sounds like these may be weak.

Gazzar's point about the mainshaft nut is well worth investigating especially if the pump you mention if fastened to the back of the transfer box (rather than underneath).  I suspect there will be a special nut-cum-driving dog to drive the pump (like on an overdrive) and this may not have been tightened properly by whoever fitted the pump, or the locking tab omitted.

2 hours ago, rtbarton said:

The teeth are shaped that way so that the sliding bit can slide into the other bit easily.  If they were shaped like conventional gear teeth there's a chance they could engage point to point and not slide in.  Once the sliding bit is home it's held in place by detent balls and springs inside the synchro hub and it sounds like these may be weak.

Gazzar's point about the mainshaft nut is well worth investigating especially if the pump you mention if fastened to the back of the transfer box (rather than underneath).  I suspect there will be a special nut-cum-driving dog to drive the pump (like on an overdrive) and this may not have been tightened properly by whoever fitted the pump, or the locking tab omitted.

Ok so its not the teeth then, I suppose I was clutching at straws.

The pump is indeed on the back, so I will take that off and hope my problem is there rather than internally.

Many thanks for your help.

1 hour ago, rtbarton said:

@sixtwoeight  You have a PM

Replied, and thanks.

What does the pump run ?  a winch or something more exotic?

The pump and pto housing will come off as a unit , best to remove the selector box off the top first  , then the 6 bolts into the transfer case , if possible leave the  hyd. pipes connected as otherwise you will need to drain the tank. When it's off check the needle roller brg. inside the pto. shaft as well as the mainshaft nut

cheers

Steve b

The pump just has a hose out the back to connect whatever you want.

So I took the pump off and the control lever and found the castle nut, the locktab was doing it's job and the nut seemed tight - I couldn't get it tighter.

But I have noticed on reassembling everything that the selector rod cover has a brass plug with a spring underneath, now should there be a ball bearing between the spring and the selector rod???

I'm not sure whether there never was one or whether it dropped out without me seeing it or there shouldn't be one?

Yes there should be one - it's the detent for the centre selector rod, you can see the three corresponding slots in the rod.  Remove the  drain plug and see what drops out and have a good look round the inside of the box with a torch.

45 minutes ago, rtbarton said:

Yes there should be one - it's the detent for the centre selector rod, you can see the three corresponding slots in the rod.  Remove the  drain plug and see what drops out and have a good look round the inside of the box with a torch.

Didn't find the ball but did find these, can you identify them?  (obviously one is a tooth)

20180325_154220.jpg

20180325_154141.jpg

Edited by sixtwoeight