Engine set-up

timwillems

Hey everybody,

LR newbie from Nicaragua. Found this series 3 109 pick up for sale that had some work done recently. I was wondering about the set-up of the engine as it looks a bit off to me, but as a newbie I wanted to ask for your opinion.

Going back next week to check it out again.

30A5C675-E9BC-40FB-876D-93644064FCFE.jpeg

C7AF4169-A729-4F1D-AB2B-DCCFE28BC365.jpeg

Welcome to LR 4x4 :)

As above , the rusty water stain is worth looking into , but otherwise looks to be a std. 2 1/4 diesel . Take some more pic's when you go again . I'm guessing rust shouldn't be a big problem so the other things to look out for are excessive smoke from the engine and crankcase vent , correct gearbox and transfer box operation , broken/weak springs and if possible and safe to do so jack up each wheel and check for free play . Good hunting

cheers

Steve b

As it's export specification, there should be a sediment filter along the chassis rail under the front seats. These are never cleaned, so take a look to see how un disturbed it is, and use that to haggle.

The diesel is a very slow underpowered unit, and not very robust or economic. But great if all you want to do is potter.

More photos please.

One of the weird things is that to start you need to switch the key to the left which immediately turns the heater light on and then you can start. To turn the engine off you need to pull a lever in the steering wheel base (much like you would to open the bonnet or gas hatch in another car)

How do I check beyond the rusty water stain? How can I check if the overheating damaged anything?
White smoke from blown head gasket should be hard to pick up on here. Should it be overheating again? And in what amount of time/use?

Another option is this one: https://www.encuentra24.com/nicaragua-es/autos-usados/jeep-land-rover-series-2a-englesa/11328881
Gasoline, but no 109 and not pick-up. The car I'm looking for would be mainly used as a second vehicle in town (bumpy roads with very slow traffic) but also to drive up to the coffee farm with some load every now and then (up or down), 30km drive with 2km bumpy off road on steep hill with regular rain.

I don't mind slow, I'm worried about underpowered for the steep hill with some load. Does underpowered mean on highways that it doesn't get up to speed or underpowered in that it won't take the weight up (I thought that's what they were made for)?

Thx again for helping a newbie out!

Interesting that it has the under seat tank too , as opposed to the normal series 3 109 rear tank . I wouldn't worry about it being underpowered  they do make good torque and are low geared to suit , plus low box too .

The water stain could be something as simple as the pressure cap failing to seal allowing water to exit as it warms up . The only way to find out is to run it up to normal op. temp. - middle of the temp gauge and observe . It needs a good flush to get rid of the rust and proper antifreeze mix to stop further corrosion  . From your pic's it looks to be pretty good underneath too .

cheers

Steve b

• Thanks 1