Series 2 lwb bodywork alignment issues

L19MUD

I am trying to fit the bodywork to my 109. Richards chassis and restored galvanised bulkhead. I just can't get it to all line up. 

I started at the back of the tub as there is no way of hiding this. I lined up the Alluminium crossmembers with the top of the tabs. When measured to the top of the tub to the crossmembers this gives me an exact same measurement each side, however the floor supports on the rhs are touching the rubber pads correctly but the is a gap of 6mm on the lhs between the rubber pad and the floor crossmembers the first one from the back. I can't alter this as the rhs won't go down any further and I need the crossmember to tub of tub to be parallel. I figured I would just pack this out with washers when fitting the crossmembers 

DSC_0383.thumb.JPG.22e15f3e813ad165455c155fd22d8888.JPG

Sorry this will be in a few posts as not got access to a pc as off work for the week trying to sort the Series out.. 

Stage 2 and get the bulkhead on. Required a bit of a twist to one foot but am happy that the height from the mounting point on the outrigger to a reference point on the top of the bulkhead is the same both sides. I have also checked this to my other series 2 and the measurement is exactly the same. 

On this basis I fitted the doors and lined them up to the bulkhead first. I managed approx a 6mm gap with the adjustment avaliable. I then pulled the bulkhead forward very slightly to get a square gap between the bulkhead and the rear tub and adjusted the height of the tub to suit the doors. This worked fine but the doors were too close to the bulkhead. I spaced the bulkhead out by 2mm with a thick washer on the main mounting bolt between the bulkhead and the outrigger. 

I must admit I was feeling fairly smug at this point.... 

DSC_0377.thumb.JPG.74f0f30a74d6e038a37d9c34e73fc0c1.JPGDSC_0377.thumb.JPG.74f0f30a74d6e038a37d9c34e73fc0c1.JPG

DSC_0378.JPG

I was also Smug when I checked all the seat box lined up to the floor and floor plates plus the sill supports, that was until I looked under the rear tub to see that I had a gap on the rhs of 5mm between the rubber mount and the floor crossmembers and an even bigger gap of 10mm on the lhs. 

Even more worrying than this when I looked at the support brackets to the foot wells from the chassis there was no way they would bolt up. The holes in the bulkhead are not even visible through the bracket. Now I could just elongate the holes much further but this does not seem right. 

I then tried doing things the other way round I bolted up the support brackets on the most favourable side of thier adjustment. The next pictures show the result of that. The bulkhead is miles too laid backwards for the doors to ever line up. 

I don't know how to proceed tbh. Should I get it back set up with proper door gaps, elongate the support bracket holes and try to fit the wings? Then just space out the floor? 

DSC_0385.thumb.JPG.f1024ed44b6a9ad65d1405a9c00ab344.JPGDSC_0384.thumb.JPG.f9cb940e7ba02396edb6f62bd97dd6e2.JPG

I would elongate the holes as necessary and then pack the floor crossmembers with thicker rubber as necessary.

There were huge gaps in the same place on my 88” when that went back together, it’s pretty normal to have to adapt things when using aftermarket bits such as the Richards chassis. 

Most important is the panels lining up so the doors shut and seal properly.

Wings and bonnet put on quickly and it all looks good. I don't want to put more washers between the bulkhead and outrigger as my door gaps are as perfect as they are ever likely to be

Am I worrying  unnecessarily. 

James your post is reassuring. I just assumed I had done something wrong. I may measure up the old chassis tomorrow out of interest

DSC_0386.thumb.JPG.3ab9dc136e4248b4ebcb89cdd84ca3be.JPGDSC_0001_BURST20180329172217668.thumb.JPG.fc5e356afc2d8ca0d2ee71c31b9d6187.JPG