Newbury/Sudbury sortout

miketomcat

It seemed like a good turn out given the poor weather forecast initially. But it did make some people pack away earlier.

Bought a few things that I needed and dropped off a couple of bits I had lying around. Most happy that I got my sacrificial bulkhead! 

It did amaze me the stuff people were trying to sell at inflated prices or even just at all! One of the stands had a crashed 110...wanted £200 for the totally scrap worthy bulkhead! and I don't know why they had bothered to bring the two completely fubared doors. Completely mangled and twisted and good for nothing. Unsurprisingly they took it back with them.

Ended up right at the back up the bank right at the end by bogs :ph34r:,

Very low foot fall compared to the main drag in the middle TBH :(, people just didn't seem to bother to come up there, but sold a few bits that made the trip worthwhile and didn't buy anything

1 minute ago, Les Brock said:

Ended up right at the back up the bank right at the end by bogs :ph34r:,

Very low foot fall compared to the main drag in the middle TBH :(, people just didn't seem to bother to come up there, but sold a few bits that made the trip worthwhile and didn't buy anything

Where were you Les? I didn't see the 90? :( 

I managed to sell a few bits and buy a few bits. Got rid of my old set of mostly worn and a bit perished tyres right at the end of the day so avoided taking them back home. Bumped into Mike & Spaniel for a quick chat, think I saw Nige, but he was deep into a conversation about crownwheels so I didn't interrupt.

Ross I saw the twisted bulkhead and doors too. Didn't ask how much they were, but for cheap enough they could have been worth scavenging all the bits off as they were still complete-ish.

Agreed about the inflated prices. I walked away from a lot of stuff when they came up with a figure that was 4x what I wanted to pay for it.

I'm pretty sure that bulkhead and doors didn't get taken home at all - as I was driving out a big high top merc sprinter van drove off leaving some doors and a rotten bulkhead in a pile of junk on the  grass behind them.  Another driver even flagged them down to point it out but they high tailed it off the field. 

They left in such a rush that they didn't shut the back doors properly - I saw them swing open as they got on the motorway leaving a trail of stuff behind :lol:

40 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

I'm pretty sure that bulkhead and doors didn't get taken home at all - as I was driving out a big high top merc sprinter van drove off leaving some doors and a rotten bulkhead in a pile of junk on the  grass behind them.  Another driver even flagged them down to point it out but they high tailed it off the field. 

They left in such a rush that they didn't shut the back doors properly - I saw them swing open as they got on the motorway leaving a trail of stuff behind :lol:

Not sure that was this bent bukhead then, as it didn't seem that old. Just rather bent at the top.

People leave stuff behind every year. It sickens me that people expect others to clear up after them. Several around me did the same. I've been in most places over the years les where you were is fine if the weather is good, but if like yesterday the weather is poor the nearer the entrance the better.

Mike

• Like 1

11 hours ago, landroversforever said:

It seemed like a good turn out given the poor weather forecast initially. But it did make some people pack away earlier.

Bought a few things that I needed and dropped off a couple of bits I had lying around. Most happy that I got my sacrificial bulkhead! 

It did amaze me the stuff people were trying to sell at inflated prices or even just at all! One of the stands had a crashed 110...wanted £200 for the totally scrap worthy bulkhead! and I don't know why they had bothered to bring the two completely fubared doors. Completely mangled and twisted and good for nothing. Unsurprisingly they took it back with them.

and some blokes couldnt even give away a straight tub :lol::lol:

still, I left with cash in hand and an empt(ier) trailer!

• Haha 1

My most expensive purchase was a burger at £5 and I got some vents, some side lights and got a free arc welder. Haven’t tried it yet. Earth lead looks a but frayed so might need a new one. Still may tide me over till I get a mig. Haven’t turned it on yet.

02304188-7092-4A37-905D-4512EF97C22E.thumb.jpeg.499947247e30709e81d6fd2537a01ac7.jpeg

F9D3B6D1-9ABD-4BAB-A984-E6DAE9F8C9D7.thumb.jpeg.ec7fcebddcb55accd0cdbb3dcd67c160.jpeg

Thanks, we pulled the cover and gave it a squirt and some oil and some blow torch and some work with a big spanner in a vice and it still wouldn’t move. :-(.   Thanks for the stick advice I did source an arc welder from somewhere else.

• 5 months later...

Was great weather today. Getting bigger every time I go. There were at least two Dutch businesses there selling stuff which I'd not see before.

Just as I arrived the marshalls confused the traffic and a BMW t-boned a Freelander at the entrance. They were not happy....

The website has a prepay and print your own ticket option now, but only saw it too late to use it. Would save 10 mins queuing to get in.

Hardly any new take off stuff these days (for obvious reasons) so you really have to hunt for the good stuff.

There was a new stand I'd never seen selling recon diffs and t-boxes. Very shiny and newly painted, yet I looked at one of the diffs and it had very obvious damage where a crownwheel bolt had come loose and jammed in the diff carrier. You need your wits about you to avoid the tat.

• Like 1

I got there after 0830, so was relegated to a pretty poor pitch position.  No matter, I only had a few items to sell to clear up some space in the lock up. The only thing that failed to shift was a set of wheels to fit a VW, which is no great surprise really!

But it was definitely very big, and well attended.  The bogs as usual were a disgrace, and Newbury showground could do so much better.

I had an 'oops' moment and ended up purchasing one of those horizontal+vertical metal band saws that Clark and all the other usual suspects do a version of. This one happens to be a Warco.  I know they have their issues, but they seem to hold their money on Ebay.  Having lifted one solo into the back of a Discovery, I can confirm that they appear to be made of pig-iron!

Matt

IMG_1361.JPG

22 hours ago, Blanco said:

They're great machines, just pay attention to blade tension, alignment and guides and you should have a useful piece of kit.

They are very handy pieces of kit, I have one myself. You are quite right about the whole alignment tension aspect as cutting horizontal is fine for me, but vertically the blade always pops off if you haven't got just the right amount of tension.

I'm sure there was an article or post on another forum with a load of tips and improvements to make to one of these, but I cannot find it now! If you do let me know!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2018 at 8:44 AM, steve200TDi said:

They are very handy pieces of kit, I have one myself. You are quite right about the whole alignment tension aspect as cutting horizontal is fine for me, but vertically the blade always pops off if you haven't got just the right amount of tension.

I'm sure there was an article or post on another forum with a load of tips and improvements to make to one of these, but I cannot find it now! If you do let me know!

Steve

If you have the link please let me know. 

I can set mine up to cut square but it takes a long time. Wouldnt be without it nowadays though!