Axle pinion bolt torque - why different front to back?

gadget

Just spotted that i have a leaking front pinion seal so that's tomorrow's job worked out.

Looked up the torque settings for the pinion bolt in the haynes manual and it's got 76Nm for the rear and 100Nm for the front.

I would expect them to be the same.  Out of curiosity does anyone know why they are different?

It's a Discovery 2. I thought that only Discovery 2 used bolts for the pinion and Discovery 1 used nuts?

I did the rear about 14 years ago. Not surprisingly, It started to leak just after the LR warranty expired. You're right about that being a PITA. The prop locating pin was a right pain to dislodge.

I haven't a clue and not even curios :),  but it's light weight compared to the D1 with a130 Nm at both diffs.

Some D1s do use a M12 bolt instead of a nut to attached both the flanges, also some don't have a Rotaflex coupling fitted to the rear prop when they left the factory.

Replaced the pinion seal earlier and put a new flange in too because there are two distinct grooves in the original where the seal sat.  I noticed the front of the transfer box is wet too, so another leak to investigate :ph34r:

23 hours ago, teabag said:

I haven't a clue and not even curios :),  but it's light weight compared to the D1 with a130 Nm at both diffs.

The loss of axle torque prowess in the pinion bolt is more than made up for with the 450Nm of the drive shaft stake nut :)

23 hours ago, Red90 said:

Okay.  The Discovery 2 Genuine Workshop Manual says 100 Nm for both front and rear.  I would get a genuine manual.  I never trust that Haynes junk.  76 Nm is mentioned for the rotoflex bolts, which may be where the confusion originates.

I checked the rotoflex torque earlier and it is listed as 76Nm. Probably a typo in the Haynes manual then for the pinion bolt torque. With all it's faults the Haynes is handy because it's lives in the car but the workshop manual pdf is very useful - thanks.

11 hours ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

100 is cennter...its actiually between 90-110 :D

I see what you did there :D