Need an effective method for immobolising TD5

Jason

Taking my truck into India for 3 weeks and need a way of effectively immobilising it

Was thinking a fitting a battery immobiliser switch, will this work? Or does the ECU need a permanent live feed

Any other ideas?

I don't want to activate the LR immobiliser, just in case

Cheers

Jason

Fit an FIA Battery master switch.

You can then take a live feed from the live side to keep radio,interior lights and central locking working.

Please fit the switch as per instructions and all will be fine.

miike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Too easy, any thief who knows most landy's have them will carry a key. (or dead easy to find the other side & jam a spanner accros it)

Cut something critical in a hidden position (fuel pump, ignition etc) & fit a hidden switch.

Being a bit cleverer, use a relay too, so it drops out when you turn off the ignition. you cant forget to set it.

Then it requires you to press the button after turning the ignition on the next time.

I used to have this setup, with the switch hidden under the gear lever boot, in a particular place. you had to know where to press after turning the ignition key on.

Too easy, any thief who knows most landy's have them will carry a key. (or dead easy to find the other side & jam a spanner accros it)

Cut something critical in a hidden position (fuel pump, ignition etc) & fit a hidden switch.

Being a bit cleverer, use a relay too, so it drops out when you turn off the ignition. you cant forget to set it.

Then it requires you to press the button after turning the ignition on the next time.

I used to have this setup, with the switch hidden under the gear lever boot, in a particular place. you had to know where to press after turning the ignition key on.

Key maybe but nothing else with an FIA switch.

mike FOAK

Knickers

I can cause trouble in an empty house !!!

Taking my truck into India for 3 weeks and need a way of effectively immobilising it

Was thinking a fitting a battery immobiliser switch, will this work? Or does the ECU need a permanent live feed

Any other ideas?

I don't want to activate the LR immobiliser, just in case

Cheers

Jason

Whats wrong with a good old Disklok.........

http://www.disklokuk.com/home.html

Fit a Meck Lock, it cuts the hydraulics for the clutch. You can also get a 4 port Meck Lock that allows you to do the brakes as well.

www.mudstuff,co.uk sell them in the UK.

John

That would be my choice I think (never having seen one - I assume they do work!)

Mechanical (ok hydraulic for anybody feeling smart :P ) so if it does break you can bypass it with spanners and a bit of time.

Like the idea of the mech lock, bit pricey though for what I want, disclock is good as well but i'd expect the shipping cost to get it here rules it out

Looks like it going to be the FIA switch or possibly a switch cutting the live feed to the fuel pump

Cheers

take the wheels off... that'll stop the buggers... :D

remove the steering wheel.... .

or er... take the gear stick off...

or er... remove the throttle/GO pedal..

I know I have come up with the best possible cures for all occasions...

I'll get me coat..

Like the idea of the mech lock, bit pricey though for what I want, disclock is good as well but i'd expect the shipping cost to get it here rules it out

Looks like it going to be the FIA switch or possibly a switch cutting the live feed to the fuel pump

Cheers

I LIKE the relay idea - think I'll do that... I could wire it to cut-out the fuel pump and have it triggered by the brake lights - then the routine is ign on, dab the brakes, operate starter... An additional benefit is that all of the wiring will be under the boot floor, well out of sight of prying eyes... P.O.P. I reckon :)

Rog

Edit: On further thought maybe reversing lights would be a better 'trigger'.

The other option is to use the brakelights as the trigger to cause the relay to drop out (if you've not used your secret switch to prevent this happening).

First set of lights or junction and the landy will die on them and they'll probably not want to hang around to find the cause.

You could do what I have done:

1) remove cubby box

2) remove plate under cubby box

3) Fit FIA switch under plate, cut and fit battery cable to it

4) Fit 10a fuse across switch for immobiliser radio etc

5) Make hole in bottom of cubby box

6) refit plate

7) refit cubby box

The advantage of this is that if the vehicle is 'hot wired' the small fuse will blow, and it is not easy to spot the switch, especially if you keep a load of junk in the cubby box.

The disadvantage is that you have to scrabble around in all the junk to fit the key each time you start the vehicle.

There was an earlier post from Bogmonstor that stated that the immobiliser is "always" enabled, it is just that it isn't coded to the keyfob.

The ECU always checks that the alarm is present and that it has the right code - even if the only job the alarm is doing is dimming the lights :blink:

So, could you just fit an aftermarket immobilisor to cut the connection between the alarm and the ECU?

At least that way you would have the opportunity to remove the immobilisor if it broke down,

unlike using the LR immobiliser that would require LR service with a testbook to fix any problems :o

...and you wouldn't need a big easy to find (or not so easy if it is stuffed under the cubby) high current switch.

ttfn

Matthew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
if thats the way you do a td5 how would i be able to mke my 200tdi safe?

but a valve in the fuel pipe so you manually turn fuel supply on or off, just remember when you park up to turn it of and when you get in turn it on other wise it'll gomissing or you'll get fedup of bleeding it up!

other option would be do that with an electrical valve block in line wired to a remopte switch located in a position of your choice

you should be able to wire it so it wont turn the engine over unles the switch is on (so it doesnt starve your fuel supply to the pump)

hth

I like my disc-lock thingy... takes seconds to fit, and is a big fat deterant to anyone walking past...

i know it wont stop someone towing it away, but you cant cover everything...

i've also got the manufacturers alarm, and a dead fancy immobiliser that you need to touch the keyfob in a certain place....