12 volt draw on battery when key is off no blown fuses.

sjones2006

12 volt draw on battery when key is off no blown fuses.
2006 Land Rover HSE - I had my battery go dead so I replaced it with a new one, It went dead in a few hours, I recharged the battery and drove it, and it died 45 min later with a dead battery with a smell of burning something , probably the alternator shorting. I checked the draw on the battery between the post and the connector, it had a 12 v draw like it was a dead short with the key off. I replaced the alternator and when taking the old one off I noticed something that looked like melted amber coming off the old one so it seemed that that was probably the smell. When I tested the draw after the alternator was replaced it was still 12 v. I don't want to drive it and burn another alternator. I left the meter on and pulled each fuse, there was no change in the voltage. Any Ideas what could be drawing 12 v that is not in a circuit with a fuse on it?

Welcome!

Are you familiar with how to measure current without blowing your multimeter up?

As teabag says, you're measuring voltage which is not so helpful. Have a read here: https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter/

Also I'm assuming as you've posted in the Discovery section yours is a Discovery, telling us which engine it has might also help as the electricals can be different.