depressed top surfaces of Defender wings.

I'm doing a total rebuild of my 1991 110 CSW, and my query regards the front wings.  Being vertically challenged, both wing tops are a little depressed due to me leaning on them when trying to access the engine compartment.  Apart from fitting chequer plate wing tops, is there any other way to restore them to a more or less flat, horizontal state?  I'm afraid that new LR or Bearmach panels are not an option ($$$$:().  Has anybody tried, for example, gluing a flat steel (?) panel beneath the aluminiumm wing top?  Or should I consider a new flat ali panel on top of the present wing top?

All views, comments and experiences will be gratefully received.

Mike

Flatten then out with a dolly and hammer then glue a flat panel (aluminium or fibreglass) underneath. I assume you don't like chequer wing tops. How about making some Ali wing tops out of flat plate then apply some non slip paint or add some sand to matching paint.

Mike

This is one area I'm happy to concede that chequer plate is worth fitting. The wing tops as they are just aren't man enough for standing on.

My 110 has a pond on each wing after a shower. I'm planning to fit chequer plate at some point. I'll need to force to wing up a LOT from below to make it meet. Then rivets will be installed in appropriate positions.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

This is one area I'm happy to concede that chequer plate is worth fitting. The wing tops as they are just aren't man enough for standing on.

My 110 has a pond on each wing after a shower. I'm planning to fit chequer plate at some point. I'll need to force to wing up a LOT from below to make it meet. Then rivets will be installed in appropriate positions.

I agree though centre of the bonnet is useful especially if you have a roof rack. Painted body colour makes them more bearable too. If I were to do it again I'd use plain Ali and paint it non slip body colour.

Mike

Thank you, all, for your ideas and tips.  Your pointer, Eightpot, looks like the dogs danglies, if I can get them here at a reasonable freight cost. 

One of the problems of getting the existing top surface flat again is that the skin has stretched, and my metal working skills are not up to shrinking it back.  If I can get these panels I'll probably try glueing them to the original panels, with the wing, currently removed, upside down on a smooth concrete floor and a significant weight of sand bags inside it to try to get the two surfaces in contact.  Optimistic, yes, so I'll also use countersunk screws or countersunk pop rivets, just to be sure.

I'll post how I get on.  In the meantime I've got a seriously corroded rear end door to perform major reconstructive surgery on.  This might also get a brief report.

Mike

I had some aluminium wing protectors made the same shape as chequer plate panels and then glued some non slip marine rubber on top.  Non slip, look smart and 6 years on still come up looking good.  I’m 20 stone and stand on them fine when us8ng the roof rack.

Dave!