New (to me) press

Ed Poore

Well this turned up on mig-welding for not very much money. So a little jaunt down to the south coast yesterday to have a look I and seller decided we could dismantle it (with the aid of a forklift) and fit some of it into the 110 which I'd brought down for a test drive after I'd finished fitting a new tbox the day before.

Then nipped back home with the uprights, spacers and head to swap cars. Returned a bit later with the L322 to load the base. Forklift got it in, making me think how I was going to get it out... 

Thought I'd best free up at least one of the vehicles so emptied the Defender with a bit of heavy lifting and a wheel barrow. Then since it was dry thought I'd at least see if I could get the base out of the Range Rover. Couple of ladders and lots of sheets of ply and slid it out. Managed to walk it through the side of the house and then did a bit of measuring and the welding cart I'd started building was exactly the right width to take it so got it onto that to push into the shed.

Mate came around this morning and we managed to get the head on and the cylinder all bolted in place and tipped back upright. Shuffled it into the corner. 

Now need to figure out how to top up the oil and bleed it... I'm guessing the T shaped piece before the pressure gauge is a bleed block? Must be a fill port on he hand pump somewhere I'm guessing.

DSC_0093.thumb.JPG.3dc2bd963b934323fa520605939c2b57.JPG

There's a load of very heavy duty kit down there that needs to be gone soon or its being weighed in. If only I had a barn or three. Welders (500A plus), spot welders, lathes, radial drills, Mill, compressors. Pretty much all three phase and trailer jobs. To put it in perspective the small backup compressor is estimated at about 25hp and with probably in the region of a 200 gallon (gallon not litre) receiver. And that's the small backup one...

Theres an Edwards press brake he wanted £200 for. A 8"+ bandsaw for £150. No 4 and 5 Norton Flypress (thick got the sizes right) but the spheres were about a foot in diameter... He'd rather sell it for nothing than scrap it.

If you're interested in anything get in touch with dieselsamurai over on mig-welding but they need to be gone fast. But will be some real bargains there.

32 minutes ago, discomikey said:

mig-welding isnt loading for me at the moment. trying to get on to take a look! I'm always interested in cheap fabrication kit!

Well so far there's

A "small backup" compressor (45cfm with 400 to 500l receiver) for £100...

Large flypress £250 (lorry or really substantial trailer)

500A MIG NBC welder £175 (has a minor issue with wire feed).

330A BOC Arc welder £175.

Well I didn't have a 3" AF spanner to nip up the nuts. Asked one of the directors at work who was likely to have one. Thought his father did but couldn't remember where it was. Then pointed out the bleeding obvious, hence the photo. Much simpler than the plan I had in mind :blush:. Bit of flex in it so could do with a gusset or two if going into production with it but it served the purpose.

DSC_0097.thumb.JPG.1788f605e5c98d99390138fd42c5330c.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

This was built this afternoon out of mostly free scrap from raiding a friendly neighbourhood skip. The only bits that weren't free were the two rounds for the uprights (bought 3m of the stuff to have as stock) and the two bits of angle for the guides but they were actually part of an offcut from another project. Still I did pay some pennies for them.DSC_0100.thumb.JPG.a98051436f2ddf8a7f1331b5dcdcb989.JPG

And it in action

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.ec13650e67db361c8134f20178310e5f.JPG

That's 6" width worth of 5mm steel.

DSC_0103.thumb.JPG.7f05dcd5ff4cfa5182e7872b4153ff94.JPG

Need I say this press is awesome, it hardly registered on the pressure gauge whilst bending all that.

Although the tight inner curve did mean I had to finish it a little in the vice. Still not too bad for an afternoons work and no cost.

Only the third time I'm building these bloody brackets for the rock sliders. Still now the plasma is back and with the press brake built it's down from several evenings worth to under an hour all told to make 3.

It is, I'm lucky enough to have a local company who considers 6ft box sections (from 2" to 18" profile) as scrap offcuts. Got really annoyed they didn't have any thin stuff but times like this it works well.

Mainly lucky to have some C channel and big angle that fitted nicely together. Ironically the angle doesn't quite touch the bottom but that doesn't seem to matter it turns out...

It's basically similar in style to the Swag one but just carp lying around.

Might make a shorter (in height) blade at some point as provided you space another piece of scrap the other side of the ram you can bend it over itself. Given I can put close to 5ft in height in the press would just need to build an extension for the ram (i.e. Capped off box section) to do silly deep bends. 

• 3 months later...

Well that's one way to knock up a free ground anchor spade...

Cut on plasma, weld brave in. Put in press and voila!

20180730_222924.thumb.jpg.9e04dda80f2fd8e6d23af2d5e05079fb.jpg

Still some work do to but for 30 minutes including thinking time wasn't too bad and was getting late so stopped making noise.

• 1 year later...

Well first real job the press did in the new (temporary) workshop at the new house - replacing radius arm bushes on the Defender. Might have cheated slightly and simply knocked out the centre steel insert and then used the new bush to push the old one out in one go :ph34r:.

With that job done before heading off to Scotland I got to play with the new toy tool and started grading the guest driveway.DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.23651bfee766b9a31cf2e60c02417f8b.JPG