Swing Away Spare Wheel Carrier of choice?

Hello,

I have an ex-military 90 and for years the spare wheel (255/85r16) has been mounted inside on the bulkhead between the seats and the rear tub. 

I'd like to free up the space inside and re-locate the spare wheel to the rear door. As my rear door is rotting it seems a good time to replace the door and invest in a swing away spare wheel carrier.

What have you got and why? Do you have any photos?

I don't buy on impulse & tend to research things before buying. Currently I am favouring the Masai extra heavy duty one as can be seen here:

https://www.masai4x4.com/Large-Extra-Heavy-Duty-Chassis-Mounted-Spare-Wheel-Carrier-for-Land-Rover-Defender-p50047130

Has anyone else got one & if so how have you got on with it? I like the fact that the Masai has grease nipples.

The Mantec ones seemed popular but I believe they are no longer available.

The Nakatanenga is far too expensive.

My only concern with the Masai one is one of aesthetics (I know, I know...); it appears to offset the wheel to the offside & Masai don't include a photo of one with a wheel fitted and the door closed. Does it look odd? I have emailed them to see if they can supply a photo but I haven't heard from them yet (long Easter weekend and all)

I look forward to hearing you opinions and experiences.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Mantec is continuing as 'ISG trading as Mantec', still on mantec.co.uk and distributed by Flatdog and Allmakes.

I have a Nakatanenga myself. Bleeding expensive indeed, but stainless. The wheel does shudder a bit, but all is still solid after quite some stretches of corrugated road.

Joris

I've fitted a couple of britpart ones for people and in all fairness, they appear to be pretty well made.  One was over 2.5 years ago and it still looks like new, no paint peeling etc and a very reasonable price from island4x4. 

I've got the Mantec, with the 265/75s the door handle is just on the edge of the tread so watch your tyre size. As you mentioned this does mount the wheel centrally which matches the OE look and personally is more aesthetically pleasing.

Its been fitted 4yrs now and looks as new. I've got Masai stuff and Nakatenanga stuff and they both produce quality items

I have a few and I know that at least two are Safari Gard, but I don't think they exist as a company anymore. They are/were rock solid. Mine have carried wheels with 35 inch tyres with no trouble. If you find someone with any stock left, I would snap their hands off. 

I'll have a look and try to identify them and post photos.

I have a Britpart version, which seems to be a rip off close copy of the Mantec one.
I have to say that I have no complaints of the carrier, or its price.

The wheel mounts on the same line as the original door mounting. I run 255/85R16s on modular rims, so pretty heavy, and large diameter. Door handle and key access is not a problem.

I have bolth Pivlock, Mantec and a Mantec-look-a-like..

I have them all off set to the right because we have a different rear arrangement..

2018-04-03 = LR 110 achterkant - neutraal.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all your replies - I've been away with work & had no internet. I'm still waiting to hear from Masai regarding a photo taken from the rear square on.

Further research needed I think but if anyone has any photos of their carrrier I'd love to see them. 

Cheers all, Paul

http://www.4x4overlander.com/product/wheel-carrier-pre-2002/

I have this one which is very heavy duty and sits the wheel in a position, slightly to the right, allowing the use of the tow hitch, even a NATO hitch. It has grease nipples also. The wheel is still in the way when operating the jockey wheel on a Sankey though.

Edited by Stambecco
Additional info

Ive no idea what make carrier is fitted to my 110! It was fitted when I bought it. Whilst it does not have grease nipples, it is very easy to take apart and grease as part of an annual service. The carrier has not been powder coated (just painted) and has remained rust free the past seven years!

On 22/04/2018 at 6:09 AM, Bowie69 said:

I presume that it wouldn't be that tricky to drill, tap, and screw in a couple of nipped to save you disassembling the whole thing each year....?

It is one of the jobs, that I intend to get around to... With a bit of luck and a following wind I'll have sorted out the heated seats by next winter.... !!

Seriously though, having to work a lot of Saturdays and having a 9 year old with more social activities than you can shake a stick at does leave me nearly enough time as I'd like for working on my Defender.

Hello again,

I finally tracked down a photo of the Masai one and it sits very offset to the drivers side. It just looks wrong to my eyes. The design looks great but I just couldn't live with it in that position. 

I managed to track down a Mantec one at a very reasonable price so the choice is made!

Thanks for all the replies, Paul

• 5 weeks later...

I finally got around to fitting grease nipples to the unknown make wheel carrier yesterday. 

There are 4. Pivot points and I fitted grease nipples to 3 of these without any problems. The last one - the joint closest to the wheel rotates a long way and the only place I could fit a nipple without it fouling something as the door opens and closes is inaccessible without partial dismantling!! If I'm able to drill a communicating hole from the arm to the bearing I will try fitting a nipple to the arm.....