Door mounted mirror - adjust spring tension?

Hi,

my door mounted mirror arms are "floppy". The right one more so than the left one. The arm moves back and forth in relationship to the door in the wind.

There seems to be a spring inside the  "thingy" fixed to the door and it feels as if it should be adjustable. But I have failed to succeed in understanding how.

Could anyone please explain how it is done?

Thanks

Tobias

Sorry if I was unclear. It's not the ball to mirror junction that's sloppy, it's the door hinge to mirror arm. There are indents there to allow the mirror arm to stick out approx. 90 degrees from the side of the Land Rover and a few mor eindents furthe rrearward, I guess to allow for pedestrian impact or reduced width on e.g. ferries and such. it's these indented positions that's lost their spring force.

Pictures stolen from :

http://defender90xs.blogspot.se/2014/10/heated-mirrors-installation.html

Tobias

IMG_8286.JPG

IMG_8288.JPG

• 1 year later...

I have noticed that aftermarket arms are much looser than original Britax ones that LR use.

Also the Britax mirror heads are made of more robust (probably thicker) plastic. The Britax mirror glass itself is twice as thick too, which makes it more tree-resistant. Alas the cheap ones are cheap for a reason.

4 hours ago, Tobias said:

Anyone know if the ambulance length arms are available from anywhere in Britax brand?

Have a look here http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/10427/RRC8443-EXTRA-LONG-WOLF-XD-MIRROR-ARM.html

I wouldn't like to guess the originals of the Britpart item, but would hope that a genuine LR item would be of a quality you would expect.

I found after a while the spring mechanism seized up a little, I spray wd40 into the hole at the bottom and agitated the wing mirror arm back n forth and that seemed to free up the spring and locator thingy, been fine since.

• Like 1