200tdi brake servo pipe

Cheers western it’s not the hose I’m after but thank you , I’ve got a red booster clutch servo fitted and I want to fit a non return valve before the servo as there isn’t one . As I’m finding , brakes work fine all the time , on runs were I get up some speed for a length of time or if I leave her running for a while before I set off clutch works fine but if I start her and set off straight away I can have problems finding the gears smoothly  . So as the brakes work fine and they have a valve on the servo thought I’d fit one before the clutch servo to see if it cures the problem . 

Cheers Ian

I thought the Redbooster kit contain a non return valve and a reservoir.  There should be vacuum there from a start unless you have a leak.  Another NRV is not going to help anything is the tank is bleeding off.

Still not sure what you want.  There is no "pipe".  It is a hose.

There is a non return valve on the tank but not one on the servo itself (like the brake servo ) , and as the system goes from the vacuum pump to the tank then to the brake and clutch servo's via the same hose ,so I thought that the problem could be caused by the fact that if your braking before you change gear the brake servo could be taking the vacuum out of the clutch servo as there is nothing there to stop it coming out of the servo and the system hasn't got time to recover before you change gear,  and as there only £2.50 I thought it was worth a try .

cheers Ian

You have the NRV between the pump and the tank, correct?  If you put it on the outlet, you would have a problem.  The NRV is there because the pump will bleed off the vacuum when stopped.  The tank should have a ton of vacuum available for the starting up phase.

The system is set up as below 

5ac7f978bb3a4_redboostersetup.thumb.jpg.2ee4df1d0848548ce3beb2f8371dc64c.jpg

the idea is to put one just before the inlet to the clutch servo ( marked here on diagram) , so it is set up like the brake servo . And once it has vacuum it can't lose it , as I have seen some pictures of ones fitted to td5's and they have a NRV actually fitted to the servo like the brake servo .

cheers Ian

Have checked all the clips Red90 and hoses and all seems fine can’t feel anything that feels like a leak , all the hoses were new so have been on about a year . Will strip it down properly the weekend and replace all the jubilee clips. Could it be that the vacuum pump is just tired and needs replacing? As far as I know it’s the original so been on 23 years, I did rebuild it a few months ago to see if that sorted the problem but it has not . I ruled out a leak because the brakes are always fine, it’s just the clutch and it only happens at start up when it’s been left , on long journeys it’s fine and when she’s only left for a time . Went to Nantwich and back the other night with no problems even after she stood for a few hours.

cheers Ian 

Think I may have found were my problem is , I've been a numpty :blush: have just been looking back over the parts I brought when I did my rebuild and it appears that I purchased a clutch slave cylinder 591231G which is for lt77 , but I then decided to fit a R380 stumpy so It appears I've fitted the wrong one what a bone head . Should have been more careful but I never thought .

I have a 'stumpy' r380, my slave is 591231 with pushrod ftc4229, 

check your parts agree, they work fine for me & have done since the first r380 was fitted in mid 1994

you should be using release bearing utj100210, its a bit shorter than ftc5200, which keeps the clutch partly engaged with pedal released, as I found out ages ago.

Yes got that release bearing in the kit I got from ashcrofts , so the slave cylinder will work but is the push rod different for an lt77 ? if you do fit the wrong release bearing does the clutch engage at all or does it just not work ?

Edited by ianmayco68

yes to different pushrod, use the part number above, 

if the ftc5200 bearing is used it is about 10mm longer overall & with pedal up, the bearing stays partly pressing on the pressure cover fingers, so allowing partial engagement so not fully releasing, it would go into gear ok.

found this post on here https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/48794-200tdi-r380-which-clutch-slave-parts-do-i-need/

So reading some other posts the release bearing doesn't stop it operating properly you just get premature wear on he clutch , so slaves ok but I'm sure I used the push rod that I already had or the one that came with the slave cylinder, and I've just looked at FTC 4229 and there £50 ouch .

Hold on is FTC4229 the standard push rod for a R380 so a 300tdi 90 with an R380 would have this part fitted ? Please say yes as I can pinch the one out of my rebuild as it doesn't need it as I'm fitting an auto .

Edited by ianmayco68

Nope, 300tdi pushrod is ftc3912, 

ftc4229 is the correct one for older vehicles [pre R380] but LT77 fitted originally for the stumpy r380 conversion. 

I haven't got a measurement of overall length for ftc4229

BUT found ------- In this thread https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/50384-short-r380-to-a-200tdi-clutch-release-mech/

it says ftc4229 is 65mm long in a reply by JonR 3rd reply from top, 

so you could make one from the 300tdi clutch pushrod & save 50 quid, got to be a winner :i-m_so_happy:

• Like 1

On 06/04/2018 at 12:04 PM, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers western it’s not the hose I’m after but thank you , I’ve got a red booster clutch servo fitted and I want to fit a non return valve before the servo as there isn’t one . As I’m finding , brakes work fine all the time , on runs were I get up some speed for a length of time or if I leave her running for a while before I set off clutch works fine but if I start her and set off straight away I can have problems finding the gears smoothly  . So as the brakes work fine and they have a valve on the servo thought I’d fit one before the clutch servo to see if it cures the problem . 

Cheers Ian

That sounds more like an oil viscosity issue, cold thick oil preventing the synchros from working correctly.  It is especially common on changing up to second gear on R380s and I think on the LT77 too, though on mine it's better cold and worse warm.