Shackleton

Basic Start & Charge Wiring

It's been so long since I wired my RR that I'm just not confident in the conclusions I'm coming to while helping a friend try and get his RRC with Mazda SL35 engine running. I decided to go back to basics and draw up some schematics from scratch using a standard 3.9 RRC diagram as a foundation and working in the SL35 necessities. Was hoping anyone with solid knowledge could throw their eye over them and see if there's any glaring mistakes, and maybe they'd be of use to someone in the future. 

Note they're all standard RRC 3.9 [1990-ish] wiring colour codes save for the yellow to the preheater [which would be yellow with black tracer from the timer unit to glow plugs on a 1990 diesel RRC]. Also the injection pump cut off isn't included in either diagram. Haven't worked that out yet [any pointers where the glow plug/preheater relay low voltage wiring should be connected in the ignition welcome].

George

Edit: forgot to mention, we can't get this thing to crank. The solenoid just ticks madly and there's the slightest attempt to turn from the crank. We've been using two batteries in rotation between car and charger and monitoring voltage. They both start with 12.3 but as soon as ignition is switched to 1 or 2 the voltage drops to low 11's. Is that normal? We even tried them in series at one point but it made no difference.

SL35 in 3.9 RRC Start & Charge Wiring Currently.jpg

SL35 in 3.9 RRC Start & Charge Wiring from Scratch.jpg

Edited by Shackleton

If the voltage is dropping to 11 when you put the accessories or ignition on (position 1 or 2), then I'd say both your batteries are absolutely kippered.

12.3v is no good to start with.  But just to confirm it, run a jumper lead from engine block to battery earth, and attach a piece of wire to battery + and touch the starter solenoid spade terminal with the other end.  If it still clicks you need to get a good battery. 

We had each started to focus on the batteries and the starter. There's a new battery on the way and we'll go at it again in a few days. 

For anyone who this is useful to; I have a feeling the green schematic above is sound, yet to be confirmed - but some extra info: the preheater relay that seems to have been specified by M&D in their conversion of two of my pal's cars with the Mazda SL35, is Mitsubishi part UIT06871. In one car it seems to be operating alone [although further investigation is required] but on the other car it is being activated by LR's own glow plug timer relay PRC6913, which makes more sense. The latter is not shown in either schematic above. It would sit between the 'glow plug relay' and ignition in the schematic. hth