20amp aux fuse keeps popping

39 minutes ago, Sean. said:

I've got this one, which I am looking at using. Lights full and dip are working, which is why I am confused. Didn't check the horn while the fuse was working. I don't have front fog lights it seems, only the back read one which is working.

http://www.land-rover-lightweight.co.uk/Images/Wiring Diagram New.jpg

no good for a 110 & 200tdi.

try these instead http://www.landroverweb.com/Pdf-files/Manuals/Defender-90-110-workshop-manual-5.pdf use the 4 cylinder diesel diagram, the wire colours did not change.

doesn't plain purple run to the rear crossmember for the towing socket/rear wiper/interior light also, think it connects on multiplug by the clutch housing. Could be disconnected fairly easily.

Pete

Edited by pete3000

The items seem to match the fuses, if I take out the top right fuse number 10, the left full beam goes out.

From cross checking, so far, they seem to match colour wise. Any updated ones of course would be appreciated.

Yep just saying the purple and brown which are generally perm live even when ign is off, power clock interior lights etc, but the longest puple one runs through chassis to rear crossmember to power towing socket and rear interior light and possibly the rear wiper to park pos?

worth unplugging to test?

Pete

I came back to the thread about to ask if you had a tow bar connector which had perhaps been crushed or similar as I was wondering if one of the purple wires was running to a dead short along the chassis. 

When you say you have a new tow bar - do you mean you have a new one just installed?

Am I correct in thinking that fuse 1 blows immediately as soon as you put it in the holder even with all the other fuses and relays disconnected and the ignition switch off?

If so, and you plug all the other fuses and relays back in, are we also saying that the only items which don't then work are the internal light and the horn?

Further to that, could you locate the connector that Pete3000 mentions? Definitely unplug it and see if your lamp tester still lights up on fuse 1. 

Then let us know. 

Yes, that's the situation or test case.

The internal light has never worked since I've had it. I've been trying to get that fixed as well :)

I'm going to unplug the connector in the morning, when the rain stops! I will then post back.

Thank you everyone for your help so far.

regardless of whether you have any or none of the accessories the purple wire will still be there (so you can add them later on) on mine it is in the panel behind the offside rear lighting panel (at the back of the indicator and brake lights)

i.e I still have a thick brown and green? (for the rear heated screen i don't have) :-)

The internal light is probably related to the purple wire as it uses the purple as permanent feed then to the bulb, it switches on by grounding the other side of the the bulb through a purple/blue or prurple black wire. there are three or four setups like this on the defender. in the front seat area, rear seats load area, and under the bonnet for a work lamp.

HTH

Pete

20 hours ago, pete3000 said:

doesn't plain purple run to the rear crossmember for the towing socket/rear wiper/interior light also, think it connects on multiplug by the clutch housing. Could be disconnected fairly easily.

Pete

Yes it does, should appear in right rear corner behind the cover panel for the rear lights. check the loom for damage where it comes out of the chassis, it might be shorting out on chassis & blowing the fuse.

After pulling down the headlining, the interior lamp was connected to nothing... Just the correct wire. Oh well, LED one to be installed now I guess.

Issue found, when I unplugged the trail board / tow bar power the connectiosn seemed to have some browning. Looks like an electrical short has happened. No explaination as to why. I will go over the cable and see where it is.

Timc - which book do you have? I've got the Haynes Restoration Manual by Lindsay Porter. I can't find a circuit diagram in this one.

Red with a yellow tracer - need to check what this one does
Small red - need to check what this one does
Purple - PITA
Green with a white tracer - this is for the offside e.g. drivers side back indicator

I have a suspicion that one of the items on that circuit may be wired backwards, ie live feed connected to the negative terminal,and so is earthing through the unit straight to the body.  Try removing the wires from the internal light first, given that it has never worked and as such is a prime suspect.  If that doesn't make any difference, try disconnecting the horn and work systematically.  It could be a chafed wire, but this is an easier thing to check first.

If that doesn't work, then you could try cutting each wire from the fuse in turn - it's easy enough to solder them back together afterwards with some heat shrink insulation for neatness.  At least you can identify and isolate the bad circuit, having everything else operative while you get around to replacing the wire that is shorting out.

Hi TimC1967,

Thank you for those.

FridgeFreezer where did you get the first one from, as that's very helpful, seeing what connects and where the wires actually go to.

Snagger,

The internal light was a red herring, as the wire was not even connected to anything after I pulled down the head lining I found that out. I've connected the horn and it works as expected.

There is a wire from one of the plus in the engine bay that seems to have caused this. I've connected a couple so far, I need to get some more wire to jumper them. Once I know, I can either clip it, when I know what it does or get a new loom if it can't be found easily to repair.

14 hours ago, Sean. said:

FridgeFreezer where did you get the first one from, as that's very helpful, seeing what connects and where the wires actually go to.

It's from the Haynes Book Of Lies, I am sad enough to have that sort of thing kicking around on my web server.