Dreaded Fuel issues

I have a 1985 LR V8 110 with twin tanks - Had the rear tank replaced at the same time as crossmember about 10 years ago - and have had no working fuel gauge on the rear tank - although the front tank is fine . But since the low fuel light worked I just worked with that. Now I've had a second rear crossmember fitted - the warning light did not work & I ran out of fuel  !  Ok - so I looked at the connections on the side of the tank and it appeared the earth was disconnected = so Ive dealt with that. One of the other  wires has a red connector and that corresponds with the red tag on the tank connector tab - I assume this is the low fuel light. But there is no other connection for the other wire - which I assume is the gauge wire. Do I assume the wrong tank sensor was fitted when the tank was replaced ? Or if I swopped the wires over would the gauge work rather than the low fuel light ?  Any ideas