A switch is a switch is a switch...

So I pulled the cover plate on the switches by the door on my Defender 200TDi at the weekend as 2 of them weren't working.  Turns out that every one of the switches behind there in my car is broken and held together by insulating tape, so I figured it'd be a few quid each to replace them.  However, while the cost of the interior light switch is around 20 pounds, the cost of the rear screen heater is over 50 and the hazards 12 (or 103 for genuine LR - I assume due to lack of stock for such a huge discrepancy).

I'm no electrical guru, but I figured that a switch was a switch - at least for something that's "on/off" like these ones are (or are they?).  Is there an actual difference between them or should I just go with replacing the lot with a blanking plate and a set of toggle switches off Amazon for under 3 quid each?

Any replies much appreciated.

Best to use the correct switches.

the hazard light switch has 8 terminal pins on the back & the normal indicator circuit runs through the switch

heated rear screen switch is a on/off 

interior light switch could be 1 or 2 versions

1. interior light/dash gauge lighting on/off

2 interior light on/off only.

you don't have to buy genuine LR switches, various suppliers can supply Allmakes or Britpart, most likely these are all made by LEP/Lucas anyway.

I replaced my hazard switch two days before my MOT, with an eBay article, looked and felt great far better than the original which had felt very worn out ( which maybe says something about the vehicle 😂 should I be worried if my Hazard switch feels worn out?!??) cost was a few quid. Fitted, it was exceptionally tight into the surround. Anyway MOT Garage was about four miles from home and after the single use to test the switch it failed en route to my MOT. Garage told me that your always better off getting a known working one from a breaker or a genuine part. They gave me a new one for nowt of another defender so happy days but I think I'll just cough up for switches now, not worth the hassle of replacing with cheap only to have them break right after 

james

• Like 1

The hazard one has multible pins as when the hazards are on it cuts the suppy from the indicator, if the switch doesn't contact the symptom is often no indicators, a hard push normaly "fixes" it.

Cheaper eBay are ok but found you need to open them and add switch grease to make then work ok.

I have moved my interior light switch to a simple flick one on my raised centre console so the kids can reach it when I need it on.

For the heated rear window, bypass the voltage sensing relay with a normal one and a cheap timer switch.

Thanks for the info guys.  Still don't think I can justify the prices for the originals from "standard" parts suppliers.  Even the eBay ones are expensive right now for ones that are cracked.  I'll dismantle them a bit more and see exactly what's needed just to replace "the switch" rather than any of the gubbins behind it that would involve messing about with, especially as my windscreen's now cracked and I'd like to swap it out for a heated one (right now it's a mile of driving with my head out the window when it's properly frosty) which could do with a switch around there too.

When I had a Discovery 1 I bought a load of switches on ebay to replace only the clock. I am hoping to use the rear wash-wipe switch from there for my 1992 defender. The centre switch panel has been butchered anyway.  I am hoping the wiring is similar, but I have not done research on it as its not top of my to-do list.

There are heated front screens for about £115 on eBay IIRC and wiring harness to go wth it I think is another hundred or odd quid I want to do this to my 90 as I also have a cracked windscreen.

sadly the car owes me too much as this point, so much needs sorting out that takes priority over frivolities like heated windscreens ( err you know like a chassis ) I'm going to be in a right hole when it's all sorted but hey ho that's landrovers.

Edited by demonwolf444

20 minutes ago, demonwolf444 said:

There are heated front screens for about £115 on eBay IIRC and wiring harness to go wth it I think is another hundred or odd quid I want to do this to my 90 as I also have a cracked windscreen.

sadly the car owes me too much as this point, so much needs sorting out that takes priority over frivolities like heated windscreens ( err you know like a chassis ) I'm going to be in a right hole when it's all sorted but hey ho that's landrovers.

That's a great point,  I have the heated screen on my older 110, and I really do need a new screen on the Defender. I would not attempt to fit it or wire it myself though. 

The Hazard switch really needs to be a LR Hazard switch, as Western said it is much more than an 'On / Off' switch.

The interior light switch depends which switch it is: If it controls interior lights and dashboard lights it needs to be a 'Center Off' type switch. The LR switch has 4 terminals, I guess 2 of them are earths but I would go with a DPDT switch to separate the 2 circuits anyway.

The rear screen heater switch is 'On / Off' but there may be some timer circuitry. As Smego said, you can bypass this and swap it for a normal 30A automotive relay. 

As with any electrics, make sure the wire and switches are appropriately rated, everything is correctly insulated and protected by appropriate fuses or fire tends to occur.