Steering adjustment - opinions please

SPendrey

My turning circle isn't great... so I figured I'd check the steering stops to see if there's any more room for adjustment.  Turning left allows the wheel to come just within 20mm of the radius arm (perfect!).  Turning right doesn't.  It's about 50mm away.  What's stopping it is the steering box drop-arm fouling on the bracket which supports/mounts the steering box.  Now, full disclosure is that I installed that steering box over a year ago, assumed it was centred before fitting, and did some simple tests after (like, do the wheels turn?  They did, so that's it!

So, opinions on this please... do I adjust by dropping the drop-arm, turn the steering wheel a bit left, then reattach the drop arm. Finally, recenter the steering wheel?  Or, is there a more lengthy process I should have done or should do?  Or just accept that the turning circle is poor?

It's been a while since I played with a steering box, but don't the splines on the output shaft of the box prevent rotational misalignment of the drop arm by means of a missing spline?

Beyond that, I would think drag link length adjustment is the next thing to look at; but unless you altered that when changing the box I don't see why it should the that far out.

Just checking my understanding of the OP...
Are you saying that on a right turn the hub doesn't move enough to contact the lock stop, or simply that the lock stop keeps the tyre 50mm off the radius arms? If the latter is true the lock stop needs adjustment.

Was the steering lock OK before you swapped the box?

1 hour ago, mickeyw said:

It's been a while since I played with a steering box, but don't the splines on the output shaft of the box prevent rotational misalignment of the drop arm by means of a missing spline?

--> Yes, I believe there was a thicker spline to align the drop-arm

Just checking my understanding of the OP...
Are you saying that on a right turn the hub doesn't move enough to contact the lock stop, or simply that the lock stop keeps the tyre 50mm off the radius arms? If the latter is true the lock stop needs adjustment.

--> Your first interpretation is correct, the hub isn't moving far enough because the drop-arm fouls the bracket.

Was the steering lock OK before you swapped the box?

--> I think so?!  Can't say for certain because I'd not meddle with it.

There is a centering slot on the back of the drop arm which should line up with a hole in the casting of the steering box to centre it.  There are some fat splines on the steering shaft, so it's difficult to get it too far out anyway.  

Check your drag link is set to the right length between ball joints, think it's 920mm from memory? 

I don't think you can move the drop arm on the splines (as above) It sounds like you need to centre the wheels, centre the column,  disconnect the column disconnect the drag link and centre the box (if you have the slot at the back of the pitman arm a drill bit works, otherwise its the 2 turns from the left thing, both as above) . Reconnect the column. Adjust draglink to fit (at both ends), and fit it. Centre the steering wheel if necessary. 

Could it be the steering damper running out of travel sooner in one direction than the other?  I had to mess about with setting the bracket position on my drag link when I fitted PAS for this very reason, though that steering throw is a fair bit longer than you'd get because of the leaf springs being under the chassis and not having radius arms in the way.

Am I correct in thinking this is a Disco 1? So much the same set up as the RRC with no split or bolt, just a big washer & nut to hold the drop arm on the steering box output shaft & (sometimes!) needs dynamite to get it off the box?

Park the vehicle with wheels pointing straight ahead.

Remove the drop arm from the steering box and the drag link (the one that goes from the drop arm to the nearside wheel)

Centre the steering box - this is important!

Refit the drop arm in the straight ahead position aligning the master spline on the drop arm with the appropriate one on the box output shaft - you have a choice of 4 at 90 degrees to each other. Better idea of them here, they're the wide ones:  www.tapatalk.com/groups/landytown/resealing-a-power-steering-box-t10507.html

You might need to adjust the length of the drag link.

If the steering wheel is now on the tiddle remove & refit - don't forget to slacken off but leave the centre nut on the shaft when pulling the steering wheel so it doesn't suddenly come off & smack you in the face!

ETA. For some reason the link only works if I cut & paste & open in a new window.

Edited by paintman