Rear Crossmember

OK Finally started my rebuild,  but I have my first Major problem. 

My chassis needs new rear crossmember which I have,  now most people say that to line it up properly some of the rear body parts have to be built back up on the chassis, problem I have is  I bought the project with bare chassis only engine and box fitted on it but I have removed everything now ready for welding and then sandblasted.

Some have suggested making some kind of jig that can be tack welded on to chassis to get new one lined up correctly.

Anyone have any Ideas as I really don't want to go through the process of building back up just to dismantle straight away again ???

Thanks Kevin

IMG_1597.JPG

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1577 (1).JPG

IMG_1571.JPG

Edited by kevin50

Bolt some steel through the holes in the rear cross member, then weld pieces of angle to it and what will remain of the chassis, make it strong.

Then cut it off, unbolt, and bolt in new piece, weld up :)

I'd just use two lengths of box section clamped to the tub floor support brackets with a drop tacked on to the ends of the box tubes that rests on the top of the existing cross member for  height alignment.  If you can extend that drop down the rear face of the cross member to make sure the new one is fitted without a slope fore or aft, then so much the better.