300TDi Non Starter After Fuel Filter Change

Afternoon Guys and Girls,

Brief history of time first......I fitted a new (Delphi) lift pump about 3 months to go to remedy a problem where the fuel would drain back to the tank after a few hours when left switched off.  The change immediately fixed the problem, and all was well in landyville.  Anyway fast forward a few weeks, and my 90 became very sluggish, as if she was drawing a 3 tonne trailer.  It would always get to full speed, but took significantly longer than normal.  I've looked at the turbo, and intercooler, the hoses etc, and all seems to be ok. 

So fast forward to yesterday .... the 90 was starting perfectly.  First crank, and bang away she went .

So today, I decided to change the fuel filter incase it had become clogged through dirty fuel as there was one day when I almost ran out of fuel, and I worried this was the cause of my reduced power.  Anyway, filter changed, and I tried to prime the fuel system using the lever on the lift pump, but there was no pumping action at all.  It didn't feel as though it was 'off' the cam, as it had a certain resistance, but it just wasn't doing anything.  I tried brute force cranking it but the engine just wont start.  Usually when operating the lever, I could hear any excess fuel draining back into to the tank, or with the bleed screw open on top of the fuel filter head, I'd get a little stream of fuel.  Not today though.  I cranked the engine to try and ensure the lift pump was definitely on the cam, but it made no difference at all.  

So.....I'm wondering.....has anyone seen a brand new Delphi lift pump go bad in a very short space of time?......And if the lift pump DID go bad, would that explain the reduced power over the last few weeks, and would it lead to me being unable to prime the system to get it to start?  I know she's been starting fine since the lift pump was changed, but perhaps a fully primed fuel system can work on the vacuum created by the injection pump in full chat, even if the lift pump has laid down? 

Any thoughts??

Regards

Mark

Did you fit the spacer with the lift pump as I discovered some pumps need this spacer otherwise the pump never goes off cam. You probably wouldn't notice this at first as the injection pump can draw enough to run the truck but not enough to pull it all the way from the tank or fill the filter. Disconnect the fuel pump at the filter and crank the engine if you get lots of fuel your problems filter or on. If you only get little or no fuel then check the supply and feed are the right way round on the pump if so fit the spacer and check again.

Mike

• Thanks 1

I always fill the flter with deisel, before fitting,  start it up, then floor it , and it primes itself. The Delphi pump has a little screw on top, take this off and make sure the little gauze filter isn't blocked, if so just wash it out. But take off the filter again and fill it up before you try it again.

Edited by Yostumpy
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies gents.

On 14/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, miketomcat said:

Did you fit the spacer with the lift pump as I discovered some pumps need this spacer otherwise the pump never goes off cam

I don't remember getting a spacer, but when I've checked I see that I've not fitted one in any case.  I know I'm being thick, but if the pump never went off cam, would it just be stuck in one position and unable to actually pump as the level couldn't move?

On 14/04/2018 at 6:18 PM, Yostumpy said:

The Delphi pump has a little screw on top, take this off and make sure the little gauze filter isn't blocked

Had a look inside the lift pump as suggested, but I see don't any suspicious dirt or debris.  The bugger still wont start though :/

did you fill the filter? Have you still got the old lift pump? maybe put that back on to try.Have you check you've not got a dodgy wire on the stop solonoid, (ignition on, pull wire off the solonoid, and it should click when you re attach the wire, but I expect you already know this.)

I have a Delphi Lift pump, with a flanged engine bracket, but no spacer, changed the fuel filter at the  weekend, opened the bleed nipple and only get a trickle, should it fire everywhere or is that it ??  ..might be the same issue

3 hours ago, cackshifter said:

Glencoyne sell the spacer

17 hours ago, miketomcat said:

About 8mm there is A company on eBay I believe that sells the spacer separately. Some pumps don't need them but I suspect the ones that do are a generic pump that the spacer allows it to fit.

Cheers chaps.......spacer kit ordered from Glencoyne.  Will report back in due course

• 5 weeks later...