Fixings straps

ianmayco68

Hi all , I'm making some frames up for the back of my Defender to hold 20l water/fuel jerry cans , and I want some straps that I can rivet to the frame to secure the cans in it anybody done this or any ideas on the best to use ?

cheers Ian

Riveting straps is usu. not a good idea.

Get some straps and ask a local shoemaker / tentmaker / etc. to properly put either hooks or loops on.

posted this ages ago [back in 2/2006] https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/3546-load-bay-lashing-points/ 

RRC3588 & RRC3674 plus nyloc nuts IIRC the loop is RRC3588 & the backing plates RRC3674

loop - https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/154245/5497/hook___tie_down

backing plate 2 per loop - https://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/128462/0/plate

Nice bit of kit western but not what I'm after for this job, though I think I may fit some of those . The frames I'm making will be bolted to the floor then the jerry cans slotted in , I'm after some straps that I can fix to the frames to hold the jerry cans in the frame . Bit of a blonde moment Arjan can make some steel loops and weld them on then get the wife to sew a loop in them .

cheers Ian

Them look spot on if there stretchy even better , don't think you'd get ratchet straps that short proberbly only want them 400mm ish  long . Was thinking something like the adjustable straps you get on a rucksack , but the rubber ones look better .

cheers Ian

If you like rubber :ph34r: then this strap from sortimo is really nice gear. I’ve used it for loads of things, just mount with a p-clip for the fixed end and use the supplied hook for the free end. It’s stretchy so it fits anything you want and you cut it with a sharp blade if required. They do the strap in big rolls and the hooks in bags of 50 or so

https://www.sortimo.co.uk/shop/en_UK/Load-Securing/Accessories-Load-Securing/Other-accessories-load-securing/Bungee-strap-set-2-m-/p/000000000080778925

1 hour ago, ianmayco68 said:

That’s bob on Lewis cheers did you buy it from there website or somewhere local as I only live in Milwich ?

cheers Ian 

I work in the trade so it came direct from sortimo for a build years ago

10 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I must say, I wouldn’t want anything stretchy for holding something like a Jerry can in. I’d want something like the cam buckle or ratchet straps.

That Sortimo stuff is fairly strong, but I couldn’t say whether it would manage 20kg (full Jerry can)

For the price of the bought Jerry can holders available it’s probably not worth making your own anyway.

I just ordered the Front Runner twin Jerry can holder for a project at work, we couldn’t make something for how little these cost. When it arrives I’ll post up some images

I think a folding steel or aluminium tab or latch would be better, something akin to the SIII fuel cap locks or the SI-SIII air cleaner retainer.  The reason is simple - fuel contamination and weakening of the rubber straps.  You don't want a couple of 20l fuel cans coming loose in an accident, and while any rubber padding that you use to stop rattles on a metal strap can perish and allow noise, at least the cans will still be retained.

Cheers all , have been thinking about this all morning at work and have come up with something along the lines of what Nicks suggested, also the original plan was to lower the cans in from the top but I think that would be a PITA so have decided to do it so I can slide them in from the front there will be room for 3 cans , 2 water and 1 fuel as I’m planning on going fishing for a week later in the year .

Have seen one of the front runner ones on paddocks website Lewis it was £80 if it’s the same one, and I’ve already got the steel as I brought too much for another project I’m planning and I get it from work for what the company pays . When I’ve knocked it up I’ll put a photo up , cheers all the comments have really helped me alter it to a workable solution.

cheers Ian 

Not a bad idea in changing the loading arrangement - while lifting a full 20l can is easy enough outside, it's a bit awkward when you're bent over and twisted  around other kit in the back of the vehicle and will likely lead to something being sore for us over-40s!

4 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers all , have been thinking about this all morning at work and have come up with something along the lines of what Nicks suggested, also the original plan was to lower the cans in from the top but I think that would be a PITA so have decided to do it so I can slide them in from the front there will be room for 3 cans , 2 water and 1 fuel as I’m planning on going fishing for a week later in the year .

Have seen one of the front runner ones on paddocks website Lewis it was £80 if it’s the same one, and I’ve already got the steel as I brought too much for another project I’m planning and I get it from work for what the company pays . When I’ve knocked it up I’ll put a photo up , cheers all the comments have really helped me alter it to a workable solution.

cheers Ian 

Looking forward to seeing it Ian. 

Maybe do a mini build thread? :D 

Well nocked up a prototype tonight and I'm quite pleased with it, and just for Ross ( Landroversforever ) I've done a mini build thread because he sells lovely swivel retainers :i-m_so_happy:.

so worked out the size

SAM_1289.thumb.JPG.bc39b48ab748be18e7113fb1aff8aabe.JPG

then tacked up the base

SAM_1290.thumb.JPG.6a2c930107e0bccad46f5dca32036c78.JPG

got it nice and square ?

SAM_1291.thumb.JPG.f4fcde042d0b3533929ce35189fb2658.JPGSAM_1292.thumb.JPG.757a46d8350196f344d75ff9e57de4ce.JPG

cut all the dividers

SAM_1293.thumb.JPG.8e0bd6b6090d07a421a31a869b5551fa.JPG

then tacked them up

SAM_1294.thumb.JPG.938e70e9157bc0d680557a524c3585df.JPG

then tacked them to the base got them square , also did a test fit with the can

SAM_1295.thumb.JPG.7cd751b7e138bc57f048dc168747156f.JPGSAM_1296.thumb.JPG.789c05014e63a7cfa31c05273da3a1b0.JPG

then got it straight and square and tacked a piece of 6mm strip to the back to keep it rigid and it ended up like this 

SAM_1297.thumb.JPG.4a8471e5dd9ef70ca3de17e161037906.JPGSAM_1298.thumb.JPG.b4a36d2437858c58bb3c88647ad74015.JPG

then did a test fit in the motor 

SAM_1299.thumb.JPG.c048313952c1b1669ba7f27063882348.JPGSAM_1302.thumb.JPG.ea2aad521e0abac38e0ea58816a707d1.JPG

they do hang over the edge of the shelf which isn't really a problem , it does mean that the water cans can be turned to protect the spout but when in use you can pour water from were it is . they would proberbly be better up against the seats but I have my tool box that I made up against the rear seats and it fits in snug and is moulded round the 2nd row seat belts here's a pic

SAM_1301.thumb.JPG.fdfbe30410e1ac188d577c4da142b00d.JPG

It will all be padded so there's no banging and rattling and I think I'm going to weld another piece of that 6mm across the top to keep everything in then a strap across the front to stop them sliding out perhaps bolted on . So there you go what do you all think ? And Ross did you enjoy the mini build thread :D .

cheers Ian

Cheers both , the tube is a bit more HD than it needed to be but there again 40l of water and 20l diesel weigh a fair bit so not to bothered , need to fit some plate across the bottom as the cans taper in a bit but should have it all finished and painted by the weekend will put another photo up then , then the next project is a roof rack would you like a build thread for that Ross ?

cheers Ian

• Like 1