Universal joints

ianmayco68

I prefer fitting GKN joints rather than bearmach etc, they always slide in easier and save some time fitting. They are better made than your normal Bearmach/britpart/allmakes UJ. 

As for heavy duty - I have never snapped a UJ, and they all suffer if run dry or get stuffed with sand, but the bearing seals etc do seem much nicer made on the GKN. 

Edited by Eightpot

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Has anyone fitted these into there propshafts and are they worth the extra money ? There heavy duty supposedly 

http://www.shop4autoparts.net/parts/axle-suspension/universal-joint-hd-grsr-gkn-hs-18mm-j-75x27/

cheers Ian

They're the same as genuine UJs, so they're normal duty and everything else is weak duty

The bearings are slightly longer on those than the 'standard' ones. So maybe they are better. Whatever you use I'd advise cleaning the crosspiece of grease and refilling before use, as sometimes there is some very dried-out stuff in there if they have been stored a while. 

I thought I’d ask as I fitted GKN rtc3291 uj’s when I did the 110 rebuild and I was looking to buy a couple as spares for in the truck , and when I put the number in the search on shop4autoparts that popped up as well GKN hardy spicer listed as heavy duty and Land Rover fitted them to the 110’s and I’ve never had them come up when I’ve searched before , so wondered whether it was worth getting them as I’m starting to go green laning so as they go thought I’d fit them.

cheers Ian 

I had some and they were good.  I like Hardy Spicer parts.

The HD versions often have fewer, thicker rollers.  The idea is that they are less prone to shearing or skewing.  That's all well and good, but it does also mean fewer contact points between bearing surfaces and rollers, which can lead to accelerated wear and grooving of the bearing surfaces.  I'm not sold on one solution being better than the other - I think materials quality is more important.  I think the steel covered seals are better, as it stops seals expanding and slackening with age.