How to deal with rust bubbles?

dave88sw

Thought i'd post this here as it applies to rust on any car body panel...

I have a few small rust bubbles coming through the paint around the alpine windows on my discovery 1.  I rubbed them back (the steelwork appears pretty sound, just starting to rust rather than completely rotten and full of holes) and etch primed and top coated about 3 years ago but they're just starting again.

What advice would you give for a longer lasting repair.  At this stage i'm less concerned about aesthetics and more concerned about applying a coating that'll prevent it from going into holes.

I did buy some bilt hamber zinc rich primer for the job but it says on the tin to give it 7 days drying time before over painting.  Given i have nowhere to store it indoors, should i use it for this job?  I assume it would skin over within a few hours but is it likely to work if it's kept outdoors in the inevitable rain?

Dave

I should have said, I used a rust converter previously and removed the windows completely to do it. When I replaced the windows I put a thin bead of sealant inside the seal lip to prevent water getting in there. The bubbles coming through now arent really under the seal, they're just below, on the ridge in the roof beneath the window.

Is por15 as good as its cracked up to be? 

35 minutes ago, dave88sw said:

por15 as good as its cracked up to be? 

On crusty metal, it's fantastic. On anything shiny or in the least bit painted, you might as well put household gloss on for all the good it'll do. And it's not nice to over paint either. 

Those little rust blooms often come from inside, much as the metal can seem fine. A pin hole or two through the metal can make a huge mess under the paint, and once it starts spreading it'll go quicker. The joy of Land Rovers. 

If you can get to them, the POR15 will work well on rusty internal bits. However, it is expensive, takes weeks to come out of your skin if you splash blobs on you, and the thinners/brush cleaner are so expensive you might as well buy cheap disposable brushes. The thinners/degreasers also carry dire health warnings. I opened the thinners, closed very quickly and bought a respirator with organic vapour filters before going any further. Proper nasty.