Hi guys im new to this forum and well anything but reading forums is new to me.

Anyway i have owned a 2.5d NA 110 defender for a few years now and has been in the family for numerous years after being let go from the RAF and its time to project this as its hardly practical.

i want to keep is as original as possible but with a modern hint. i would like some advice on first a engine rebuild. 

Please keep in mind this is a project so any shots into the dark are appreciated along with stupid ideas and other input.

I read a few years ago that some american dude had managed to fit forged pistons, rods and custom shafts and other bits to increase the durability when he decided to turbo it to well over 100bhp  so this is something i would be interested in if anyone holds any advice in this area? i cant seem to find the post anywhere.

this will probably be my first step as its on 250k now and has never been rebuilt.

• 3 weeks later...

Engine rebuild with expensive rods and pistons for 100BHP....... Just throw a 200 TDi into it. Conversion is well covered and the engine produces over 100BHP in factory tune. A bit of fettling will get you to 125ish without costing a penny more than the engine did.

Coversion is well documented on internet land.

• Like 1

With regards to the engine, either keep it a 12J if you are happy with the performance and want it to remain only moderately noisy, or go with a Tdi if you want better performance and economy and don't mind a bit more noise and harshness.  Both are robust engines, but strap a turbo to a 12J (which is basically what the 19J 2.5TD is) and you'll eventually have to deal with cracked pistons and cracked heads.  LR did it, and with their knowledge and resources it was still a bad engine with mediocre performance and terrible longevity.

As for the rest, Undercover Covers seem to be the best company for new rag tops, the Wright Off Road matting kit makes the cab a much more pleasant place to be (aesthetically and acoustically, but also helps with temperature control too).  A power steering conversion would make life a little easier, especially parking and driving about town.  Refurbishing the heater is useful and yields good results in comfort without spending much, and heated screens, wing mirror pads (Mudstuff.co.uk are the best I've seen) and seat heating are all superb mods for winter that are affordable, with huge benefits to safety and ease of driving, but without compromising the nature or look of the vehicle.