Spark plugs for 4.6 P38 on LPG

dave88sw

As the title suggests, i'm looking for suggestions for the best option for spark plugs for a 2001 Thor engined 4.6 P38.  It has LPG on it, which i use occasionally but it does most of it's miles on petrol. 

Think i'm right in saying the bosch engined ones had platinum plugs as standard which are a bit expensive but most people seem to suggest just using NGK BPR6ES plugs and changing them more often.  Thoughts on this?  I'm happy to change them every 10k

NGK BPR6ES seem to work well in the Rover V8, regardless of the engine management. Only thing I've found is that they don't recover well when flooded. Price is very reasonable, so nothing keeping you from regular replacements.

The smaller gap on the BPR6ES plugs also helps keep the HT voltages down,making the leads last longer. Damp,arching leads upset fuel trims and push emissions up. They should be good for at least 20k, more than once on doing the first plug swap on Thor engines I've had threads come out with the old plug where they have "welded" themselves in place...

Right, i'll go with the BPR6ES plugs then, i've ordered some new leads to go on at the same time so it'll all be new.  It has a spark plug box taped to the air compressor lid with 95k written on it (on 109k now) so i'm hoping they'll come out without any drama.

Now to find a lower steering column...  Does it ever end?

Dave, if there are no misfires and the fuel trims are in the parish I'd leave the leads alone. The last lot of new leads I fitted were genuine LR - made in China... Did not inspire me with confidence, don't know where to get any decent ones now.

4 hours ago, Ally V8 said:

Dave, if there are no misfires and the fuel trims are in the parish I'd leave the leads alone. The last lot of new leads I fitted were genuine LR - made in China... Did not inspire me with confidence, don't know where to get any decent ones now.

I assume magnecor are still decent?

17 hours ago, SteveG said:

I assume magnecor are still decent?

I don't know !  I hardly ever see petrol v8's now, nearly everything I see is TDV6/8 or 4 pot diesel. I guess you can only try. In general I'm finding that parts quality is poor, even genuine LR. This week I fitted 4 new front side/ind lamps to the front of a 200 TDI 110. I had to file out the holes in the front wings to get them to fit, how poor is that ? Plus the indicator lamps are pretty much twice the price of the side lamps,the only difference is the colour of the lens.Genuine Landrover,why did I bother...