Removing bitumen headlining glue stuff?

FridgeFreezer

I'm intending to paint the ceiling in the 109 but it's got some sort of horrible bitumen-style stuff that originally held the headlining up, and it's got all fluff and whatnot embedded in it for good measure.

Has anyone ever removed this stuff, and if so, how?

20180416_215328.jpg

Not quite the same but the Ibex had carpet glued to the seatbox with 100% coverage of evostick or similar. Using a flat knife blade in the Fein tool did a cracking job. Might work here as well, especially with hot air gun?

3 hours ago, elbekko said:

The roof might get a whole lot louder if you remove that...

I'm not sure it could get much louder in the 109 :lol:

Also, it's definitely painted-on glue not sound deadening panels, this is 1978 British Leyland, the heater was optional!

21 minutes ago, Happyoldgit said:

Life's too short. I'd glue something over the top and forget it ;)

Gluing stuff to LR ceilings never lasts though! I'm hoping to scrape the fluffy cack off and just roller some paint on to brighten the place up and align the feng-shui for optimal channelling of the chakras. :ph34r:

4 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Gluing stuff to LR ceilings never lasts though! I'm hoping to scrape the fluffy cack off and just roller some paint on to brighten the place up and align the feng-shui for optimal channelling of the chakras. :ph34r:

Nothing wrong with a bit of chakra channeling but getting that goop off will only upset the yin yang of your own existentialism. No, what you need is to engage the services of an all powerful and mind altering glue which, combined with the soothing tones and hues of a lining of your choice will result in the ultimate tantric joy.