Breakdown cover

ianmayco68

Flux is out , maximum weight 2.5ton , my defender must have been fitted with HD suspension from the factory as it’s on the log book as 3.5ton from what I’ve just read on an old post on here , if I’ve read it rite. So Greenflag it is .

That's interesting, I've just checked the policy doc on my Flux breakdown cover (bought as part of insurance) and there's no mention of weight limit. They also don't specify weight limits for trailers, the only caveat is that it must have a 50mm ball hitch. That said I've not yet had to call them out.

I've just received my renewal from LV=Britannia Rescue. First of all the premium is unchanged from last year at £180. That's a nice surprise. It was very competitive last year but I will check again.

I'm covered for UK & European Assist on my 1996 110 CSW and also my wife & I have Personal Cover in the UK so it extends to any vehicle in which we are travelling. Limits are 3.5T or 7m long or 2.3m wide or 3m high. Cover includes a trailer. Recovery is initially to a local garage within 10miles but repatriation home from anywhere is included once the garage has failed to repair by end of the day.

One of the reasons for selecting them was the wide range of countries covered - including non-EU countries in "Greater Europe" :)

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

Recovery is initially to a local garage within 10miles but repatriation home from anywhere is included once the garage has failed to repair by end of the day.

Maybe it's because I always break down on a Sunday that I've never been recovered to a garage then! :lol:

That came up Boris when I clicked for a quote on there website , it was a warning message don’t buy this if you don’t fit this criteria. And when I asked the young lady about it she had to go and ask to confirm, which didn’t give me a lot of confidence.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I obviously didn' t touch enough wood as I've just had to use the recovery for the first time in my wife's car.

Green flag arranged for a local recovery firm to come, rrj or something. They were absolutely fantastic, took about an hour to get to me with a bloke in a transit, had a snap on code reader and genuinely tried to get it running. Whilst he was trying to get it running a lady in a tilt and slide turned up. When he gave up she took me to my chosen destination, she even had crisps and drink or in the wagon for the customers for when they'e been stood out in the cold.

My issue is with green flag, when I called them they told me they wouldn' recover me again for the same fault for 28 days. Now I've had that car dropped at a garage to try get it fixed, I'm going to pay money in good faith for that and if they don't do their job right my rescue service won't come to my rescue? That's not on if you ask me. I'm going to send a moaning email... 

16 hours ago, Cynic-al said:

My issue is with green flag, when I called them they told me they wouldn' recover me again for the same fault for 28 days. Now I've had that car dropped at a garage to try get it fixed, I'm going to pay money in good faith for that and if they don't do their job right my rescue service won't come to my rescue? That's not on if you ask me. I'm going to send a moaning email...

I'd have thought that's fairly standard, otherwise some people would never fix anything and just keep calling them for the same thing every other day. Or use them to ferry cars between a chain of garages for free as each fails to fix it...

I could understand it after the second or third time.  Or even say that they wouldn't recover me again until I had submitted evidence that I had made a fix like email them a garage bill or whatever. However this car has broken down 3 times this week with the same fault and has been to a propper garage to be repaired each time, it's just that the first 2 times it broke down at home so I towed it in myself.

Interestingly I moaned at the contractor about it and with no prompting she said "your with green flag Then?" So I'm not sure it's standard policy across the board.

I'm  hoping it won't do it again as the garage owner came to see me, was very apologetic for not fixing it the first 2 times and is on it personally and promises it will be fixed before I see it again. However if it goes again I'm going to call with a flat tyre, or be cheeky and use my works recovery policy ... Or tell the garage owner where it is and to take a recovery truck or matches. Lol

A friend is with the aa and as it was late at night they dropped him and the car at his house then came back the next day and collected him and the car and took it to the garage. Mine had to be a single destination there and then. 

Edited by Cynic-al