3.9 "hotwire plenum" TPS replacement

disconc

Hi everyone,

I am slowing moving towards finally MS1 fuel and spark (for the last 7 years, I was using MS1'n'EDIS spark only... don't beat me :mellow:), and as I have an annoying warm engine stalling issue I believe is linked to the AFM or TPS or 14CUX... I will move away to MS.

Now, in preparing this conversion, and considering the TPS on my engine is 20 years old and might be giving me trouble already maybe, I was willing to replace it.

When looking for this part, ERR2263, I discovered it is "SOLD OUT" everywhere, or selling at more than gold crazy prices.

I am sure I am not the only one in this case, and as the TPS is still wired in MS1, how do you guys deal with this part replacement when needed ?

Do you have any suggestion please ??

Only things I found on the web are two aftermarket "products", which look the same though :

1°) E0467, TVR Throttle Potentiometer Rover V8 Pre-Serp and Serpentine Engine at RACETECH

TVR Rover V8 throttle pot (replacement for the round and oval plug). Will fit Pre-Serp and Serp engines. Will also replace Land Rover part ETC8495 and ERR2263.

https://www.racetechdirect.co.uk/car-parts/electrical/sensors-switches-and-control-units/e0467-tvr-car-part-tvr-throttle-potentiometer-rover-v8-pre-serp-and-serpentine-engine/

2°) SP002  Rover V8 throttle pot upgrade kit at ACT PERFORMANCE PRODUCTS.

Consists of:  Colvern throttle pot, alloy adapter plate, Brass spidle, ball bearing, stainless cover plate, fixings & loom socket

Once this kit is fitted, throttle pot replacements are cheap and easy using the colvern unit.

http://www.actproducts.co.uk/product/sp002-rover-v8-throttle-pot-upgrade-kit/

What do you guys think about these ??

Anyone fitted one of these ??

The first one clearly states being a replacement for ERR2263.

The second one is also sold buy Mark Adams, the 14CUX guru, on his tornado systems website, as an aftermarket replacement solution...

If no other good solution from you clever gents, I would be really interested to have feedback on the above...

Thank you for your attention :D

Best regards from the other side of the world (New Caledonia)

Erik.

HOW MUCH MONEY???

For MS, almost ANY 3-wire throttle potentiometer from ANY car will work as long as you wire it so the voltage increases in the right direction. I'd have a scour of eBay / rummage in the local parts shop to see if there's something more generic that could be made to fit. Oh, and if you find one, let us know!

Hi Bowie, Fridge,

thanks again for your support.

From what I have seen up to now on the net, as I do not have many choice around here at the local parts shop, It does not seem that easy to find something more generic to replace this TPS, and indeed, the options quoted above are quite expensive...

Maybe then I should try second hand units on ebay... but they might be in the same state of "age" as the one I have.

All I have found on ebay up to now was :

=> 1 "for parts or not working" at 80 GBP !!!

=> 1 used in the US for 122 GBP !!!

=> 1 brand new in the US for : 550 GBP !!! :wacko::blink:

Considering this, the ACT solution for something new at 150 GBP finally does not seem that crazy.

Anyhow, if anyone around has another solution, as stated by Mr Fridge, for something more generic that could be made to fit ... I (and I believe we) would definitely be interested...

Thank you all

Cheers

Erik

Sometimes you can buy a plenum with one on for £50.

Your original sensor and wiring could be strengthened up with some sealant if the wire sheathing has cracked maybe?

I was going to try and make one of these fit, as it was only £10

ERR4278

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THROTTLE-POSITION-SENSOR-FOR-LAND-ROVER-DISCOVERY-RANGE-ROVER-4-6-4-0-MFT6LR/263456744590?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20170912102056%26meid%3Dc0a352ea33e04fb59ff28798d9b78da3%26pid%3D100753%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D263456744590&_trksid=p2045573.c100753.m4841

And i think people have done it of you search on google

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/8-range-rover-classic/14759-need-cheaper-cost-throttle-position-sensor-please.html

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks for your feedback... yes, that is the idea, trying to find an alternative potentiometer that could be modified to fit... I am wondering about the spindle which sticks out from the pot... I need to have a look at it, yet I do not have any dead one at hand...

Any other feedback or experiment at fitting an alternative throttle pot welcome :D

Thanks you

Erik

Hi Fridge, Elbekko,

yes, I see the idea... clever, including the air valve... yet this is beyond what I am ready to tackle, as it would involve many other things like throttle linkage + kickdown cable, air tubing to the airbox, coil pack mounting (as on the 3.9 I am using Nige's bracket which uses the plenum screws)....

Thanks anyway for the ideas, as it might help someone else one day working on a MS conversion...

Erik

Hi Erik

I've recently changed my TPS for the ACT conversion kit. My 3.9 has a megaSquirt and I was getting some strange engine behaviour beforehand as my old TPS was giving misleading info. With the new kit fitted I have a very stable idle and better pickup etc.

I know its more ££ but at least it is sorted now.

Jon

Hi Jon,

thank you very much for your hands on real life feedback, this is very valuable !

Mr Fridge, I do not know what is used stock on these engines, but I saw a picture of a very clean PWM idle valve mounting on these manifolds below (thanks Nige :D)

image.png.fe5d1d1f9f856d37944f1d0e90d56ca3.png

Thanks again to everyone.

Have a nice weekend

Cheers

Erik

Hi Fridge,

sorry for my late, I was away up to now...

Ok, I see what you mean, so you were talking about the plenum below, not the bunch of bananas... sorry, you know, here under the tropics, "bananas" are our kind of things :D !!!

I have no way to have a look around this plenum, but as I understand from megasquirt-V8, you will have to make a few mods to it for the PWM valve to be added as it would be on a megasquirted "3.9 style".

image.thumb.jpeg.31f5f154185d22d93f6cde2b7e6e68aa.jpeg

Thank you for your feedback

Cheers

Erik.

Megasquirt-v8 sell a small adapter which you attach to the back of the plenum, you have to drill & tap holes for it:

IMG_2755.JPG

IMG_2758.JPG

IMG_2759.JPG

Although you could equally make something with a hydraulic fitting or similar. Or you could use one of the blanked holes in the plenum base which are present on some V8's (not on the 4.6 one), like the 3.9:

plenum_map_connex.jpg

My full conversion is here: