disconc

Pwm fitting on disco 1

Hi gents, 

Ok, I have another one for ya :)

Today, in the idea of finally squirting my tank, I made a trial fit of v8-mevasquirt PWM  bracket and valve... And, faithfully, I have issues :

1. Nige's bracket is a piece of art and fits straight and square to the engine 

2. Yet  the disco engine bay is too small! If i fit the valve as intended, even without the plug at the back of the valve, it is already touching the firewall, and also the tubing from plenum to valve might foul with the kick down cable (auto box) , see attached picture. 

Any MS disco with a PWM valve fitted... What is your secret for fitting it? Pics welcome! Thanks. 

Nige, if you are around, what have I missed please ? 

3. Difficult for me to find a suitable tubing for the valve, as its ports are bigger than the plenum ports... Either fits to plenum, but can not fit to the bigger pwm valve ports... Or fit to pwm valve, but way too big for the plenum ports!! 

What have i missed again? 

I have no solution yet for the tubing size, but intend to mount the pwm the other way around, as in second picture... 

My question is : is this okay? 

I would add a plate, on top of Nige's bracket, so the valve will be mounted 90 deg off its intended position... BUT... Is this ok for the airflow, as it will be entering on the side port and exiting from the in-line port... Reverse of how it was intended, including the arrow in the ali casting of the valve showing the flow.... 

What do you guys think about this? Does it make a difference? 

Thank you very much in advance for your feedback and help. 

Cheers 

Erik. 

20180421_155255.jpg

20180421_160251.jpg

I don't think the valve cares which way round it's mounted as long as the airflow through it is in the correct direction.

I find ASH (AutoSiliconeHoses) on eBay pretty good for all manner of shapes, sizes & adapters in silicone hose.

I think it needs to be pointing towards the firewall, for the airflow direction to be right, with the simplest layout of hoses.

I've not got a good solution, it hasn't rubbed through the soundproofing yet though!

Hi Fridge, Bowie,

thanks for your answers.

Thank you also for the pointer to ASH, they have really plenty of things among which I will surely find my need, yet, I have to check with them if they would ship to New Caledonia (that is a nightmare !)

About the valve, I am sorry, but I want to be sure I understand it clearly (I am not english native speaker), from what you both told, it seems the air must travel through the valve in one specified direction, which corresponds to the red arrow on my picture below (arrow which can also be seen on the casting of the valve itself).

Is that right ?

... because for my setup, it would be really easier to have the valve mounted as shown on the picture, and thus the air flowing through it as shown by the green arrows on the picture below.

Sorry, but can you please confirm the valve can not be used with the air flowing through it as illustrated by the green arrows below ?

Bowie, If you have some spare time :), would you please mind posting a picture of the way you mounted your PWM valve ?

Thank you all for your help

Best regards

Erik.

pwm.jpg

You're right, the air flow must match the arrow, the arrow must point to the plenum. Otherwise the airflow tries to close the valve.

My bay just looks the same as your first picture, just hanging off chopped up standard hoses, no hard mounting, just the hoses.

Hi Bowie,

ok, thanks for your answer, that is definitely clear now for me !

So I will have to mess around the plenum with the valve to try to find a way to mount it with the correct air flow direction, and suitable hoses to connect.

Ok, I see how you have it installed :D

Any other gentleman around here, having a PWM valve fitted to a 3.9 disco or RR classic, that could please share the way they have it mounted and connected (tubing)... trying to gather a maximum of ideas instead of trying to re-invent the wheel !

Thanks for your help

Erik.

Could you blank off the tube from the plenum and take the "input" air from the air filter / intake pipe so you don't have to put the PWM valve exactly in that location?

You could, now you don't have an AFM, could mount it way upstream if you wanted.

Just shows I didn't really care much at the time and just stuffed it together to get it running :) 

Fridge, Bowie,

thanks again for your ideas.

Yes, that might be a great solution when getting rid of the AFM...

I already have the MAT sensor mounted in the output tubing from the airbox, just before the Lucas AFM, but If I replace the AFM with Megasquirt-V8 AFM replacement unit, I could use the provided MAT boss to screw in some kind of barb fitting, and then tubing to the PWM valve wherever I want it...

That is clever as I was thinking of a bung to plug the MAT boss... so this might be a great solution :D

Thank you again gents

Erik.

• Like 1