Dezzie

Hi everyone.

I've got a year 2000 L Series Diesel Station Wagon.  127,000 miles. Usually very reliable, and used every day. Apart from the usual odds and ends problems they all suffer, it drives great.  It drives in 2 wheel drive, as I've taken the prop off when the rear diff imploded a couple of years ago.

Right then ;- The last couple of days, on my way to work, something unusual has happened.  The car is perfect up to 60mph, then a loud rumbling / vibration is heard coming from the drivers side front at 60mph.  Also, when I press the accelerator, the car won't go faster then 65mph. If I drop below 60mph, the noise goes away. Plodding along at 50mph, the car is perfect. I've also noticed, that when at low parking speed it feels like the brakes are on, and the car comes to a halt quite quickly, and doesn't roll much.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.  Can't afford to change my car, and would like to keep this one !

Thanks for any replies..................... Matt (Dezzie)

Hi Dezzie

sounds like there are several issues-

When you have driven several miles , touch the wheel hub/rim does it seem unusually hot? is there a brake type

smell, if so it sounds like you have a seized caliper / brake pad , it could be a simple case of removing the pins and

pads & cleaning, or replacement of caliper, an easy job to replace, as for the rumble noise cv joint ?

Regards

Chris h

The 2nd part sounds like a seized viscous coupling (VCU) which can wear out / break other transmission components (rear diff and/or IRD in the gearbox) as well as having rumbly bearings itself which can be hard to pinpoint (it can sound like it's coming from anywhere).

Removing the entire propshaft + VCU isn't too hard and will help isolate the fault and allow you to check the support bearings as well as propshaft UJ's.

Hiya guys.  Thanks for the replies.

I never thought of the brakes, that never occured to me, so will get that checked cheers. Can't say I've noticed a 'Brake Smell', but I guess I've been 'in' the car. Certainly haven't noticed as I've got out  I did notice that the centre cap is missing from the Alloy wheel.  Could this have got hot?

The VCU and prop were removed in 2016, and they're on the floor in my garage. Could the noise be from the IRD unit?  If the IRD has gone, how would this manifest itself?  Would there be clonking / rumbling / or non driveable?

Thanks for your help guys.  Cheers ................ Matt

Sorry, totally missed that the prop was off!

The IRD would be unlikely in this case but possibly worth just checking for play in the output flange as a bearing could've let go.

Per Chris's advice: Does the hub get hot at all? After it happens, feel all the hubs, if one is noticeably hotter than its counterpart you may have a clue.

Have you jacked the front up & spun the wheels to feel for rumbly bearings etc.?

With no prop you can get through engine mounts a bit quicker, the lower reaction bar on my TD4 ate itself with the prop removed.

Thanks guys that's great advice cheers.

My first thought was a wheel bearing actually.  But the noise isn't there 'all the time', only at 60mph. I've also thought C.V Joint? I've been pootling around town in it this afternoon and it drives great.  But didn't go over 30mph.

The noise seems to come from the Drivers side, and if I remember rightly, the IRD is over towards the left hand side of the engine.  Fingers crossed it's not the IRD, or it's 'game over'. Can't really afford to get that done.

No, I haven't jacked the car up yet, will have a go tomorrow when (if) it stops persisting down!  I will go and have the wheel balanced tomorrow too.

Thanks guys.

Freelander problem update ......

Had the wheels balanced this morning, and apparently they were "quite-out'".  However, when the car was jacked up I tried to spin the wheels.  The drivers side wheel wouldn't spin, and the hub was red hot.

Brake calliper jammed on ! Will get that sorted next week.

Thanks for your help with this one.