locking washer on drop arm /steering box

Hi all changed my very leaky power steering box on my standard 1993 200tdi defender  about 2 months ago with a box that came from a ranger rover classic and have been very happy up till over the weekend i noticed the steering felt a bit vague /loose and when i had a look underneath found the big nut holding the (new)drop arm onto the steering box shaft was only hand tight:o .could undo it just by putting a socket on it and very loosely holding socket without a bar on i undid it!!!

When i put this nut on ( had a new nut and washer from LR and a new drop arm...in a blue box) but could not understand how the lock tab washer could properly do its job as it is a complete circular washer and  only slightly bigger diameter than the drop arm which it is suppose to lock onto and this is compounded by the fact that the drop arm is round so unlike a wheel bearing nut  washer it can only grip properly on the nut and not the drop arm part.( Im tapping one edge up and one edge down like a wheel bearing nut)

in the parts book i have it states that it is just a bog standard round washer  (part no 600265 ) but i have also seen another type of washer that has two long tabs on which i would imagine could properly lock( Part no AEU 4025  )...both going up on the drop arm?

anyone have had this problem before and am i doing something wrong by tapping the lock washer one side down on the securing nut flat and the another opposite part of the washer up onto the drop arm

Sorry if this is not sounding clear but been a long day

lock washer needs to be this one https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/steering-box-drop-arm-nut-tab-washer-aeu4025.html

Gemmer Type tabs each side of drop arm, then fold one or two bits of washer down onto nut edges, 

this is the plain circular one says Adwest type in info https://www.johnrichardssurplus.co.uk/steering-box-drop-arm-nut-tab-washer-600265.html

I think the 2 tabs are meant to be facing upwards each side of the drop arm up & the circular part hammered down onto one of the nut flats, I seem to remember that's how it was on my original 6 bolt Gemmer steering box. 

but the curent form has worked for me.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...