BFG Mud Terrain tyres 255/85/r16

Northern Paul

Good morning all,

For ages now I have had a set of the aforementioned tyres fitted to the 90 and the time is coming to replace them. 

Does anyone know whether this size is still made in the new style BFG Mud Terrain? 

I'm not having too much look in finding them and have always highly regarded them.

Failing that, what size is closest to them and any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, Paul

2 hours ago, Northern Paul said:

Good morning all,

For ages now I have had a set of the aforementioned tyres fitted to the 90 and the time is coming to replace them. 

Does anyone know whether this size is still made in the new style BFG Mud Terrain? 

I'm not having too much look in finding them and have always highly regarded them.

Failing that, what size is closest to them and any recommendations?

Thanks in advance, Paul

Nice tyre size. Still fairly narrow but should be a real world 33” tall. Sadly not many tyre makers offer this size. 

You can get similar diameter in other sizes. But all end up being a lot wider. 

An 8.25 x 16 (size up from a 7.50) is pretty similar dimension wise. But even rarer!

If you aren’t in a hurry I’d hold tight for the KM3 BFG. Suspect they will still offer it in a 255/85. 

A 33.10.50 is also similar size. And you sometimes see this (think BFG might offer it actually). But is more normally found on a 15 rim rather than 16. But pretty rare too in either instance. The 33 also tends to come out a little shorter as a rule too. 

I've used the old style BFGs in that size for years.  When supplies dried up, I found a couple of second hand ones that kept me going a bit longer.  Last year I really needed a new tyre and had to decide what to do, as the KM2s were so different that I really would have needed a set and they are super-expensive.  It turned out that I could only find three manufacturers that make that size (BFG, Cooper and Maxxis - well, Toyo are supposed to but you don't see those here).  The Maxxis 762 is a very similar pattern to the old BFG KM and around 2/3 the price, so I tried that.  It's been great and I will move to a full set as finances allow.  I don't imagine they will last as long as the BFGs, based on my experience with 764s on a work vehicle, but the cheaper price would offset that.

Personally, I think 255/85x16 is the sweet spot for standard Land Rovers.  265/75s and 235/85s give up that crucial inch of diameter, while 285/75s are too fat.  You can get a 33x10.5x16 which is very similar in size but those tyres are very aggressive mud tyres, with all the compromises that involves on other surfaces.

Edited by deep
spelling

Hi all, 

Many thanks for your replies. 

I didn't realise that the KM3 is due out soon. The BF Goodrich UK website doesn't list the 255/85/r16 as a size for it though. 

It seems my GoogleFu was weak yesterday - I've had a bit more success (Thanks DaveTurnbull for getting me going again). Paddocks do seem to have them as do Black Circles. 

What I was hoping for was a wheel and tyre package deal (I should have made that clear in my original post). My current steel wheels are rather tatty and I fancy a change from black 8 spokes (and a random steel disco wheel) to black modulars. 

I emailed Paddocks direct and they have quoted me the following:

Hello ,

Please find below the price/s you requested for 255/85r16 BFG MT KM2 mud terrain tyre fitted on 16x7 Black Modular wheel including building + balancing, uk mainland delivery + vat.

set of 4 x = £828.00 inc vat

set of 5 x £1035.00 inc vat

Regards
Noel - Customer Advisor 
AEW Paddock Motors Ltd.

What concerns me slightly is that if I utilise the wheel and tyre calculator website ( http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator ) it tells me that 16x7" rims are way too narrow for the 255/85/r16 BFGs. Or am I getting it wrong? Or are Paddocks getting it wrong? What is the general consensus here?

I don't mind having to source the tyres and rims separately, I just don't want to be ordering the rims in the wrong width. As for offset....? It seems a minefield. 

Any further advice gratefully received. 

Cheers, Paul

255 85 r16s are fine on a 7j rim. We had them on the 90 pictured below on 7x16 boost alloys. It did need hubcentric spacers to maintain any form of turning circle though. If you are going for modulars, get some with a larger offset than boosts and forget about spacers.

Image0046.jpg

Edited by Boris113
typo

Paul, no  you are right, in most cases for a ten inch wide tyre, you want an eight inch rim, you can get away with sevens, but you are outside the manufacturer recommendations in most cases.

Also, by moving to an eight inch rim, this gives you the better offset, pushing the tyres out, meaning you don't need the spacers mentioned above...

11 hours ago, Northern Paul said:

Hi all, 

Many thanks for your replies. 

I didn't realise that the KM3 is due out soon. The BF Goodrich UK website doesn't list the 255/85/r16 as a size for it though. 

It seems my GoogleFu was weak yesterday - I've had a bit more success (Thanks DaveTurnbull for getting me going again). Paddocks do seem to have them as do Black Circles. 

What I was hoping for was a wheel and tyre package deal (I should have made that clear in my original post). My current steel wheels are rather tatty and I fancy a change from black 8 spokes (and a random steel disco wheel) to black modulars. 

I emailed Paddocks direct and they have quoted me the following:

Hello ,

Please find below the price/s you requested for 255/85r16 BFG MT KM2 mud terrain tyre fitted on 16x7 Black Modular wheel including building + balancing, uk mainland delivery + vat.

set of 4 x = £828.00 inc vat

set of 5 x £1035.00 inc vat

Regards
Noel - Customer Advisor 
AEW Paddock Motors Ltd.

What concerns me slightly is that if I utilise the wheel and tyre calculator website ( http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator ) it tells me that 16x7" rims are way too narrow for the 255/85/r16 BFGs. Or am I getting it wrong? Or are Paddocks getting it wrong? What is the general consensus here?

I don't mind having to source the tyres and rims separately, I just don't want to be ordering the rims in the wrong width. As for offset....? It seems a minefield. 

Any further advice gratefully received. 

Cheers, Paul

BFG specs are on their website (UK site is rubbish, use the US one).

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire/bf-goodrich/mud-terrain-t-a-km2

Rim width 6.5 - 8"

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Paul, no  you are right, in most cases for a ten inch wide tyre, you want an eight inch rim, you can get away with sevens, but you are outside the manufacturer recommendations in most cases.

Also, by moving to an eight inch rim, this gives you the better offset, pushing the tyres out, meaning you don't need the spacers mentioned above...

Tyre height and construction also play a part in recommended wheel widths, not just the tread. As per the link above, BFG say a 6.5 inch rim is perfectly fine with a 255/85.

16x7 doesn't automatically mean worse offset either vs 16x8, stock LR alloys just don't tend to stick out much. But some steel rims can, you just need to know the ET of them.

I have this size in the original KM1 pattern on my 110. They're on 7x16 black modulars and work well providing good steering lock.

The average modular rim has far greater offset than my LR alloy or Disco 1 steel rim.

5 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

When recommending an 8 inch rim for better offset, I was talking about aftermarket modular etc, which do have a better offset out of the box, meaning no spacers.

It does indeed depend on which rims specifically. Not sure what is available today. But this is what I compiled from a few years ago. 

LRRimoffset.png