True or false? Defender unveiling?

Maverik

http://www.autonews.com/article/20180409/OEM04/180409752/next-defender-likely-to-stick-to-boxy-roots?profile=1657&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

if they are talking about it in the corporate literature, and now a big announcement on the anniversary of the launch of the Series 1, maybe there is some truth in the rumours!

Edited by =jon=

Not so sure - presuming they are building it in Slovakia, the plant isn't due to be operational till the end of the year and they've only just started recruiting staff.  No reason they couldn't unveil a new model I guess,  but they'll lose a lot a lot of momentum if there's a big gap till they can take orders. 

If they don't do something soon though they might find everyone's bored with the wait and lost interest...

Tesla model 3 has shown the power of pre-orders if you build up enough hype. I think end of 2019 is the plan for delivering the new Defender.

The design has been done for ages as LR celeb ambassadors were tweeting etc. about seeing it last year. The testing might not be complete for sure, but the V8 70th sold out in 5 minutes this year, so its proved there's still demand 2 years after end of production. Feels like a good wave to ride. Unless revealing may undermine those V8 orders, which it will take a while to build 150. 

I may be wrong

7 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Yawn. It won't be a proper Land Rover.

Wearily readies pitch fork yet again.

Mo

But yeah, it's going to be like going to watch the new Star Wars film,  we're going to be really excited until we realise it's just a cack disney film, and we're only ever going to like the first one. On VHS. 

• Like 1

They're sharpish MOG, sharp enough 😉 

Ah VHS Eightpot, I loved VHS and 3 channels on the telly ...

Anyone got any matches ? My flaming brand keep going out in this bloody rain. That's the trouble with these vigils, out in all weathers, constantly ready to defend live axles and bi-metallic corrosion ...

I heard a rumour  that it’s not the new Defender they are unveiling; to ark the anniversary of HUE, they’ve finally found the centre steer prototype in a barn and they’re unveiling that. 

Well, I didn’t technically “hear” a rumour. More like just started it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So, ladder chassis, galvanised, simple 6 speed gearbox, unstressed high capacity 6 and 8 cylinder engines. Simple mechanical suspension, with no electrics or other clever stuff, mechanical LSDs in every diff?

Selection of configurable body styles in corrosion resistant materials?

Or a highly expensive styling exercise, based on a platform modular monocoque,  with no user serviceable components, and every imaginable electronic driver aid, 100 control modules, highly stressed engine, with an electronic gearbox, and a design life of 10 years?

We'll see.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blanco said:

Lets assume that it is of interest and we want to watch it........ broadcast how/where/what channel at 8pm BST?

This is on Land Rovers site: 

World Land Rover Day is on 30 April. To watch the broadcast and take part in the celebrations at 20.00 BST see our YouTube channel and use the hashtag #LandRover70Years

WWW.YOUTUBE.COM/LANDROVER 

I think there is about a snowball's chance in h3ll of Land Rover ever making another model with the name Defender.

further down into the article was this little gem.

Their reasoning is that with Mercedes rebadging the Nissan Navara and calling it the X-Class - there's clearly a strong demand for utility vehicles.

Which is a bit odd in itself because nissan belongs to renault

I wonder if they will be fixing all those trucks out there with snapped chassis?

Edited by neil110

I think it’s pretty certain they’ll make one. I’d imagine as soon as they saw people paying Khan and Twisted £70k for one they thought it’d be a goer. Even if they don’t do the utility bit - they’ll look to compete with G-Wagen - as both a profitable Macho Urban ‘truck’ and to laying claim to their heritage as the makers of ‘the most capable 4x4’.