1992 Range Rover Classic 3.9EFi

Dickie_L_J_O

Good evening,

I’ve recently been doing a bit of work on my Range Rover. Lower steering column, pads and rotors, clutch master and slave...

I drove to work in the rain for a test drive, everything seemed fine. I fired her up and drove home, nothing to report, apart from when parking up in the garage... 

After reversing in, I started to smell burning. I hurried in, switched off and opened the bonnet. I could see two spots glowing red around the new slave cylinder. 

Has anyone experience this before? I was hypothesising that I had installed the heat shield mat slightly off and it was touching the cat. The whole setup seems flawed by design, with the slave being that close to the slave, it made the change a right PITA, as none of the bolts was visible.

8FF3CD77-21FD-41AF-A6E2-5EE71EF9854C.thumb.jpeg.9a898239291947081bdada0ec0a0d0ff.jpeg

Awful picture sorry, hard to see the glowing.

Any tips? Is the heat shielding doing more harm then good?

Any help appreciated,

- Richard  

I believed it was the heat shield matting that was smoldering and glowing.

The driver’s side cat is about 1” from the bottom bolt of the slave cylinder. This packaging made the job an arse as you can’t really see the slave from below, and can’t really access from above. 

For now I’ve removed the matting as it turned to dust when I touched it, and made a plate of steel to go in its place, just as protection from radiation. 

47B26EBA-B17B-4010-A7A1-9BF05B8C2E6E.thumb.jpeg.6cbfa17cbc96274d62a4c013bbe037d9.jpeg

There's no reason for stuff to get red hot around there unless the cat is failing, or the engine is over fuelling -I would go with the latter.

If it is the latter, then fix it quick because it *will* kill your cat.

I have 94rrc, there is only one cat box it is underneath the car. You must have 2 one on each down pipe? I wonder why. Where are your lambda sensors mine are at the bottom of the down pipes before they join into one? Suprised your cats are up by engine, must cause extreme heat problems under the bonnet, also we always warned if travelling over grasslands to be careful cats would catch fields etc alight. Yours shouldn’t!

Yes, my Lambdas are on the down pipe just before the cats. I have one cyclindrical cat on the driver’s (LH) side, and a pancake cat positioned vertically on the passenger’s side. 

Like so:

0759E69C-DF4C-4DC7-A379-1B726A05BF1B.jpeg.14935b7397348027dbd71c92d54ef51a.jpeg

Edited by Dickie_L_J_O