WTD: Series 2a/3 gearbox to ford v6 adapter plate

charlieuk

I have a series 1 to ford v6 conversion.

After 29 years of happily playing together the gearbox has given up the ghost.

Having bought a series 2a gearbox it appears the adapter plate is different.

Anybody have one knocking about the garage?

What engine was the S1 before the conversion, and what's different about the new gearbox? The six cylinder IOE engine has a different bellhousing, so it's possible the early IOE four pots were the same. 

I have one of those adapters. I don't need it any more as went a different way to mount the engine to gearbox.

I can make a picture of the adapter tomorrow so you can see if it is the right one for you.

Pictures are of my Ford bellhousing to LT77/R380 adapter.

IMG_9391.JPG

IMG_9393.JPG

I thought the box on the series 1 was mostly the same, bell housing may be different, though. 

Mind you, it's been a while since I did a series 1 box, and it was a late series one at that.

Thanks for the replies.

When the gearbox and diff ground to a halt my mechanic asked me to source a 2a or 3 'box instead of the supposedly weaker series 1 'box. ( we've owned it 29 years with the v6 in it, can't be that bad) . Once it arrived, it transpires that the id is marginally different and the holes are in a different place. I am informed by people who know a lot more about these things than I do that you can't just swap the bellhousing from a 1 to a 2a because bearing sizes are different.

My options are to find an adapter plate ( possibly like the one that AV8R has posted , thanks ) and fit the 2a 'box or even a series 3 box

Sell the 2a 'box which hasn't even made it off the pallet it arrived on! and have the series 1 rebuilt. But even that is proving difficult with parts scarce .

Any recommendations on where to go, who to use and what to do greatly received.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everybodies help, suggestions and offer of parts.

I have sent the box and diff to be rebuilt. I'll just have to hide the credit card bill.

Now all I have to do is sell the 2a box I bought and didn't get round to using.

• 1 year later...