Replacement doors review

Just thought I'd do a quick review of SP 4x4's galvy doors.

2004 td5 D90 doors rotten through everywhere other than that a non tampered with basic truck.

So I ordered the galvanised frame with steel epctroplated steel skins option 2x front doors which came in at just under a 1k including shipping... not exactly cheap, but thought it would be an "investment". I'd read various reviews about them which I found where generally true as per below.

Doors appeared reasonably well packed up but had suffered a couple of bent corners in transit.

Galvy frames had had some work to clear up from the galvanizing process but only basic, all holes and threaded holes needed drilling and tapping, as well as some filling around the door catch area to allow the pin and catch to fit.

All the corners of the skin where pretty sharp and from the crimping process and needed some work to reshape and round off. Then there was subtle hammer marks in the outside of the panel from where the panel had been crimped onto the frame, I didn't like this so much so I gave both do is a skim with fine stopper to try even out the marks which worked after a fashion.

Painted up relatively easily and re fitting the internals there was some small variance in the interior frame dimensions but nothing that stopped fitting of parts.

On final fit up to the vehicle I've got to say I was quite shocked as they latched up to the original position of the door latch and where a perfect fit no shimming of hinges or anything. Big sigh of relief... all in all they're a little rough around the edges needing some time to prep but they look like they'll last... and couldn't quite get the hammer marks out the skin but it's not so noticeable on a 15yr old truck anyway... andif you anted to apply more filler you could, I just wanted to minimise that.

Mav

20180502_204605.thumb.jpg.51e1f38ebd5e9ffaf31d29c7be6f0126.jpg

20180502_204553.thumb.jpg.888878c2ed195e662041b9eb421d58df.jpg

• Like 1

Interesting to read that - I spoke to a chap recently who bought a pair of their series doors and sent them back.

They gave him the money back so quickly that he took it that they must be used to having them returned. 

I’ve bought one of their safari doors, the all steel and galved type for the later models. Intending to use on my 1996. Do you think I should inspect and trial fit sooner rather than later? I’ve not unpacked it!

Certainly have a look at it, the actual size and fit of the doors seemed fine, just the outer skin finish was a bit rough, certainly no way ready to paint off the bat with mine, but depends on what you're looking for I guess.

Hi lads, i make heavy duty galved rear doors, they take both the older type wheel carrier and the newer Puma type, galved one piece steel skin etc etc

I'll be doing front doors that will hopefully ready by the end of the summer.

If your needing a rear door that's stronger than standard i'll give members on here a decent discount, that's if it's OK with admin to do so.

FB_IMG_1523521840966.jpg

FB_IMG_1523521888405.jpg

FB_IMG_1523521873289.jpg

Edited by Ghound

I endorse Ghounds work. Knows his stuff: I've a lightweight bulkhead that he made.

When you consider that it's hot dipped, then the quality is very good, minimal distortion, fitted the chassis perfectly.

G.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Nice door will need a rear door for my project soon , do you do galved steel skins Ghound for the front doors ? 

The front doors i'll be selling will be galved steel, but i've not just got that far on. There going to a bit of a hybrid between the pressed Puma type with curved corners at the bottom, and the older style, so i can't really design the skins just yet.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 1:10 PM, Retroanaconda said:

How are you getting on with the SP doors @Maverik?

I actually had a good look at them the other day as its farther in laws truck and he's selling up. As good as the day i took the picture.

Debating on buying myself a set, not a small investment mind.

Fitted my SP4x4 galv front doors last weekend (will post a couple of photos sometime).

I have posted elsewhere the horrors of the purchase from SP4x4 and it is not for faint hearted! Expect nil customer service and the return / replacement of at least part of your order as it will either be wrong, poorly packaged or just plain damaged on arrival. 😬

When I (finally) had a pair of doors that looked like they were up to the job it was "just" a case of prepping them (drilling & tapping the holes etc) and sending them off to the spray shop. I know they had their work cut out as there was a lot of excess galv to be cleaned off and also where the skins had been folded over the frame it was very uneven meaning extra prep was required to give a good final finish. The painted doors (which by then looked lovely) sat in my garage for a couple of months but last weekend was when I decided I really ought to get them fitted (to release a bit of space if nothing else).

The only new parts I needed were sound deadening pads and window channel (I had already bought the later inner door panels from JC). The pads were Dead Mat from Van Lining Trim UK (off Ebay), very reasonable price and look to be a lovely product which was easy to apply (used a seam roller to ensure 100% adhesion). The channel unfortunately came from SP4x4 as although I had vowed never to use them again they were the most cost effective but they were up to their usual standard with the packaging looking like it had been done using all the remnants from the warehouse floor and some of the aluminium strips & channel bent like a banana (packaged like this as the box was un-bent)! The new inner panels were purely to save me having to use the old panels and adapting them to fit the new fixing layout, the finished result is definitely better looking (even if it is hidden behind the door-trim). New plastic trim clips etc were either bought new or re-used as necessary. Fitting the doors was straight forward, they fit ok even allowing for the fact that bulkhead alignment was done for the original doors, I will adjust the bulkhead, door surrounds etc next spring when I rebuild on a new chassis but I don't anticipate any issues. They are heavier than original so this time I hung the doors first and built them up while on the vehicle whereas last time (19-years ago) I built them up while laying flat on the floor, no doubt I will notice the weight when I remove the doors next spring! 😕

SP4x4. Don't expect good customer service or that the product you will receive will be "good to go" straight out of the box so give yourself plenty of time to allow for returns etc. Inspect thoroughly the moment you receive them and do a trial fit to ensure there are no major issues, when happy you can concentrate on the smaller tasks to get them ready for painting. My reasoning for buying these doors was that when eventually fitted, any pain will be forgotten and they will last the life of the vehicle. 😀

• 3 months later...

I recently bought a pair of Series front door bottoms from SP. To be fair they were well put together and packaged with sufficient protection. They then went to the paint shop and came back looking mint.

However, as I was transferring the door handle mechanism it was clear that the cut away in the door skin is significantly smaller than the originals and that the door handles don't fit. The barrel for the lock doesn't have enough clearance on the skin.

Obviously this is Defender forum but has anyone else had this problem? The only solution I can see is to file down the barrel... or try and send it back but having shelled out for the painting I am not keen.

On 11/9/2019 at 10:32 AM, Litch said:

SP4x4. Don't expect good customer service or that the product you will receive will be "good to go" straight out of the box so give yourself plenty of time to allow for returns etc. Inspect thoroughly the moment you receive them and do a trial fit to ensure there are no major issues, when happy you can concentrate on the smaller tasks to get them ready for painting. My reasoning for buying these doors was that when eventually fitted, any pain will be forgotten and they will last the life of the vehicle. 😀

Oh bugger... I have some of their rear doors for the 110, but I bought them about four years ago and haven't looked that closely at them yet! I hope they do fit as I doubt they will take a return after this time!

I got front doors from Duckworths Land Rover in Market Rasen as they were selling these cheaper than the SP versions....

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Icarus57 said:

I recently bought a pair of Series front door bottoms from SP. To be fair they were well put together and packaged with sufficient protection. They then went to the paint shop and came back looking mint.

However, as I was transferring the door handle mechanism it was clear that the cut away in the door skin is significantly smaller than the originals and that the door handles don't fit. The barrel for the lock doesn't have enough clearance on the skin.

Obviously this is Defender forum but has anyone else had this problem? The only solution I can see is to file down the barrel... or try and send it back but having shelled out for the painting I am not keen.

I have found this when fitting a 110/90 or military lock to a series door bottom...the series apeture is slightly smaller and off set minutely