valve stem seals

sixtwoeight

When I did mine on my 300TDi I knew that they don’t fall far. Even so to start with I fastened a little bit of cord on them (clove hitch tied by forming one loop behind the other). This was a silly fail safe. You could do this just to see how far you could let them drop. Or simply use the cord to hold the stem whilst you get your fingers sorted to pull the seal up and the other back on. 

Edited by Peaklander

Another way of keeping the valves in place. In case you don't have compressed air.

Remove sparking plugs. Rotate crankshaft so the piston of the cylinder you are working on is in a low position. Take a length of cord, about 6 to 8 mm diameter. Push the cord throught the sparking plug opening into the cylinder, leaving some outside to retract the rope afterwards. A knot in the end will keep the cord from entering completely. Now rotate the crankshaft until you feel resistance. The "compressed" cord will keep the valve in situ for you to do your thing with the seal.

Interesting ideas, if the seals arrive tomorrow il be giving it a go - I was going to do what peaklander suggested with tieing some cord around the valves but the rope method that AV8R mentioned sounds good.  Il see what takes my fancy tomorrow.

Cheers chaps.

Just to throw a curve ball in... Are you sure it's just the seals need doing, and not worn guides too? If the valve stems are a "proverbial in a bucket" fit, new seals won't do much for very long. 

Liking the ideas for keeping the valves from dropping, though. 

52 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

Just to throw a curve ball in... Are you sure it's just the seals need doing, and not worn guides too? If the valve stems are a "proverbial in a bucket" fit, new seals won't do much for very long. 

Liking the ideas for keeping the valves from dropping, though. 

No I'm not sure at all, just hoping I suppose.  My theory is that it wasn't used for probably 20 years so hoping the seals have gone bad and now its been run, it is not sealing. 

So once the springs are out the valves should have little/no sideways movement??, just so I know whether I'm wasting my time with the seals.

Edited by sixtwoeight

53 minutes ago, sixtwoeight said:

So once the springs are out the valves should have little/no sideways movement??,

Sadly, the workshop manual doesn't give a spec, just a rather glib "replace if excessive". 2 thousandth of an inch would probably be OK for that size of valve. Very much more and you're probably best off looking at getting the head to a machine shop and getting the guides done. They'll fit new seals, and you might as well get it cleaned and the valves inspected and lapped while you're there. Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not major money and you'll know its spot on when you're done. 

But fingers crossed your theory is correct and the seal rubber is just old, perished and not doing the job any more. Do please take some pics either way :)

1 hour ago, sixtwoeight said:

My theory is that it wasn't used for probably 20 years so hoping the seals have gone bad and now its been run, it is not sealing. 

Unless there's  a copper head gasket, after 20 years of neglect a regular steel head gasket may be on the edge of giving up. Like a lot things steel, time takes it's toll. I know my V6 had a blown head gasket within 500 Km after it's revival, having not run for 20+ years. Not trying to scare you off, just to keep an eye on it.

Tried the above methods (not air) and none worked, the valve opened and spring compressed so couldnt remove the collets. I wasted an hour trying this so probably quicker to take the head off so...

I noticed when I took the rocker cover off there seemed to be water in the top but I assumed it was condensation?

Anyway, I've taken the head off to get the valves out  and have noticed a few little potential issues...including more water,  il stick some photos up when I get home for your expert knowledge...

It had a copper head gasket and the pistons and bores look good and clean to me.

I thought about getting the seats changed and guides replaced but phoned for a quote and it is more than I can afford so if the guides need doing il see if I can do them?

Pics to follow.

So,

Gasket had water on it (appreciate water will have come from head as I took it off but...) and there is a stain by number 1 cyl - is that water getting by?

20180510_140203.jpg

where I'm pointing these are raised on both the block and the head - the gasket has obviously compressed more in these areas by wonder if that means the rest of the gasket wont seal as intended if the raised areas bottom out on each other?

How do I get the areas flat - without getting the block decked and head skimmed?
20180510_140544.jpg

20180510_152621.jpg

20180510_152631.jpg

Edited by sixtwoeight

The oval (ish) shapes between the pushrod holes on the gasket a couple have just very small pin holes and the others are more oval but have slightly torn the gasket - bad photo. Is that correct?

20180510_152626.jpg

20180510_152638.jpg

20180510_152621.jpg

Also 2 of the exhaust valves are a different colour?

Edited by sixtwoeight

2 hours ago, sixtwoeight said:

How do I get the areas flat - without getting the block decked and head skimmed

You can't, I'm afraid, or certainly not really acceptably. Flat deck and head are pretty much not negotiable. It looks like water has been sat trapped against the gasket rotting the iron as AV8R suggested above, which may explain the raised areas - rust is several times the volume of iron. 

The brown exhaust valves are pretty much "it wasn't running right". Possibly lack of compression, water in the cylinder, poor valve setting, even a cracked head.... So it looks like its wasn't happy when it was laid up, poor old thing. What's the history? 

10 minutes ago, lo-fi said:

You can't, I'm afraid, or certainly not really acceptably. Flat deck and head are pretty much not negotiable. It looks like water has been sat trapped against the gasket rotting the iron as AV8R suggested above, which may explain the raised areas - rust is several times the volume of iron. 

The brown exhaust valves are pretty much "it wasn't running right". Possibly lack of compression, water in the cylinder, poor valve setting, even a cracked head.... So it looks like its wasn't happy when it was laid up, poor old thing. What's the history? 

Mmmm, not happy.

Ive spent far too much time and far too much money on this now, its starting to get me down.  Anyway...

It has been sat for a good 20years, rear chassis was rotten, ive replaced that along with many brake and suspension parts, rebuilt the gearbox and probably other bits I forgetting.  I guess it was parked up for a reason??

I did a compression test and posted the results on here on another thread, and they seemed acceptable.

I have to get this done now for next to no money.

Believe me, I feel your pain... The head, as it's now portable, you might as well get inspected, skimmed and whatever else sorted.

The block is a bit more of a challenge, but maybe not insurmountable. First up, get in clean. Everyone seems to have their own methods - wire brush, gasket scraper, sanding block - I've seen it all. Once you've got the carp off, have a good look at those high spots and get a decent straight edge to it. If the rest is flat, you've got a chance of tackling those high spots. You might well find that a gasket scraper will blast the corrosion off and you'll be able to see what you're left with. Big divets are a different problem, but a few high spots can possibly be fixed with some DIY bush engineering if you don't want to pull the block and have it all apart. A deck skim isn't much more than a head, but it is a lot of work to get it to that state. Anyway, find a large, thick piece of glass (with nicely bevelled ground edges!) you can wrap some wet and dry (start at 80 or even 40 grit) around and get to work with plenty of WD40. Take it easy, keep it flat, keep it lubricated and keep checking with the straight edge. You'll soon see the high spots and can adjust where you're working and applying pressure to compensate. It's not ideal, it's not really the suggested way, and it's certainly not right, but hey, it's an old Land Rover. Might just get you out of trouble if you're happy to put some hours and elbow grease in in lieu of spending pennies. Setting the crank so the pistons are mid way up the bores and carefully cutting some cardboard circles to pop on top and sealing with a bead of silicone will save the grinding paste going into the bores. Protecting the rest is much more tricky. Filling with rag is maybe about all you'll be able to do, but necessity is the mother of all invention! Shout if you want some more hare-brained ideas thrown at you ;) Keep us posted!

Ian

7 hours ago, lo-fi said:

Believe me, I feel your pain... The head, as it's now portable, you might as well get inspected, skimmed and whatever else sorted.

The block is a bit more of a challenge, but maybe not insurmountable. First up, get in clean. Everyone seems to have their own methods - wire brush, gasket scraper, sanding block - I've seen it all. Once you've got the carp off, have a good look at those high spots and get a decent straight edge to it. If the rest is flat, you've got a chance of tackling those high spots. You might well find that a gasket scraper will blast the corrosion off and you'll be able to see what you're left with. Big divets are a different problem, but a few high spots can possibly be fixed with some DIY bush engineering if you don't want to pull the block and have it all apart. A deck skim isn't much more than a head, but it is a lot of work to get it to that state. Anyway, find a large, thick piece of glass (with nicely bevelled ground edges!) you can wrap some wet and dry (start at 80 or even 40 grit) around and get to work with plenty of WD40. Take it easy, keep it flat, keep it lubricated and keep checking with the straight edge. You'll soon see the high spots and can adjust where you're working and applying pressure to compensate. It's not ideal, it's not really the suggested way, and it's certainly not right, but hey, it's an old Land Rover. Might just get you out of trouble if you're happy to put some hours and elbow grease in in lieu of spending pennies. Setting the crank so the pistons are mid way up the bores and carefully cutting some cardboard circles to pop on top and sealing with a bead of silicone will save the grinding paste going into the bores. Protecting the rest is much more tricky. Filling with rag is maybe about all you'll be able to do, but necessity is the mother of all invention! Shout if you want some more hare-brained ideas thrown at you ;) Keep us posted!

Ian

Ian, Thank you for your ideas and it's nice to hear that you can understand my situation and suggesting ways that are not correct but may work  for me.

Il have a think about it today and decide which way to go, but will probably do exactly as you've suggested.

I can't be the first to be doing it the "wrong way" and knowing it's wrong.

Thankyou.

Edited by sixtwoeight

Can you get composite gaskets for the 4 pots as you can for the V8? Might be slightly more forgiving of slight surface variations once you’ve given the block a clean although I’ve seen worse than what’s in your photos before. These old engines are quite resilient.

As its an iron head and block, hit it with a wire brush in a drill (or grinder if careful), that will remove most skunge very quickly.

Rust is 50 times greater in volume than the iron that forms it, so I reckon you have a good chance of seeing that good enough to work again.

A head skim it not pricey BTW, 30-40 quid would do it.