disconc

Question on loading msq file

Hi Folks,

another newbie question for our helpful MS experts please ...

My ECU is an MS 1 extra 029y4...

Can I load onto it an msq from an MS 1 extra 029v ???

or would that cause weird things ??

And by the way, I would really be interested if someone around could please supply me with a working 029y4 msq for a standard 3.9 autobox discovery 1 with MS1'n'Edis... or at least if someone around has at hand and could please send me Nige's latest 029y4 corresponding bestguessstartall msq for my tank ?

Maybe that might matter, the only two non standard features on my tank are : tubular headers and a safari like snorkel...

If those enter into play onto a standard MSQ, from your experience, in which direction should things be changed : more or less fuel ? more or less advance ?

There are so much things to read about starting and tuning the MS I feel a bit lost in the field and hope to be able to start on a usable msq, and tweak from there on by small steps, being able to back off on a previous msq if needed... still gathering data and parts for the moment, and slowly advancing the wiring.

Thanks for your support

Cheers

Erik.

Hi Nige, 

Thanks for your post, but I might have some email problems... as the last two emails I sent you (and it seems a few other peeps i sent emails too) got no replies (not even read return receipt), but some others go through smoothly... Internet mysteries!! As I use no spam filters. 

I will try again to email you tomorrow my answer to your email about a week ago and the msq :lol:

Just for general knowledge sake, could you please just confirm or deny if a 029v msq can safely be loaded in a 029y4 ecu? 

Thanks for your valuable support 

Erik from New Caledonia

3 minutes ago, disconc said:

Just for general knowledge sake, could you please just confirm or deny if a 029v msq can safely be loaded in a 029y4 ecu?

I'd say not safely, no, if the software (megatune or tunerstudio) warns you about loading it then I'd not guarantee the results.

BUT as long as you save the original MSQ settings from the ECU 1st you can always put them back again - it's only settings.

Re-flashing the firmware is slightly more involved but not too hard, you just need to make sure you know what you're supposed to have - for example most of us here & most ECU's supplied by Nige use a firmware image that has the Rover V8 temperature sensor data baked into it, so using a "vanilla" one will read the wrong temperatures.

You could try it, just check through all the settings afterwards and make sure they look right, ideally you want to upload the new settings with the ECU not connected to the engine but if you're running EDIS it should be low risk... most issues come from running ignition coil drivers and flashing an incorrect setting into it that can over drive the coil.

A safer way, though more time consuming is to manually copy the settings, open the tune in a copy of your favourite tuning software, open your existing tune in another copy of the app and fill in the values from one to the other where they are different. This also allows you to review each setting.

If you're really brave you can open the existing msq and new msq in a text editor and merge the two... probably not the best option though ! :) 

What I have done in the past, is just copy/pasted the fuelling and spark tables over, leaving everything else the same, that way it doesn't matter what version the MSQ is.

Fundamentally though, you need to get tuning, don't worry about the spark map for the moment, just get the fuelling sorted out, and you'll be golden.

If you haven't already, buy TunerStudioMS, way better than Megatune, and has autotuning ;) 

Hi gents,

Nige, you are the KING !! Thank you.

I just tried sending again emails to your gmail address... hoping they can get through or that I receive your answers.

If by the way you could please send me back by email one of your best guess 029y4 MSQ for my standard 3.9 autobox discovery 1 with MS1'n'Edis, that would be fantastic. Many thanks.

Thank you all also for your feedbacks.

(and yes, I have a registered Tunerstudio :))

Cheers

Erik.

Edited by disconc
first sent by mistake

Hi everyone,

a little update since last post and a new question (I asked it directly to Nigel by pm, but though it would be interesting to ask it here also, as it might help others...)

Nige kindly sent me his latest "bestguess magical msq" for my tank. Thank you again !

To summarize it up a little :

I have a MS1 n EDIS already fitted, doing spark only at the moment (and for years), and in progress to do fueling soon I hope (waiting to finish up the wiring).
It is a 029y4
I also have a Innovate MTX-L wideband already fitted for a while, which in my registered TunerStudio V 3.0.28 displays correct AFR compared with the dash gauge.

As I was not near the car and had a spare time this weekend, I just wanted to have a look at Nige's msq, to see what the settings look like inside.

So, I was NOT CONNECTED.

I opened my current working project in TunerStudio, which is setup in project properties as Innovate LC-1 default 0-5V = 0.5-1.5 lambda.

I then loaded Nige's tune .MSQ.

I first had a warning about the MSQ being 029q and the project being 029y4 : ok.

then, I received the warning below :

2 Warnings:
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for afrBins1! AFR found in current configuration, Volts found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for afrBins2! AFR found in current configuration, Volts found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.

I then browsed around various settings, and to a newbie eye, all looked all right.

EXCEPT, the AFR target table 1, which definitely shows crazy afr targets... see attached !!!

I believe these crazy values might be linked to the Units mismatch for afrBins warnings above... but what can I do to make it ok and have in the AFR Target table 1, Nige's correct AFR target table ???

Maybe it is linked to the 029q/029y4 problem and corresponding ini files, but it might also be a settings problems that I have missed something somewhere ???

Any clue how to sort this out anyone please ?

I am not ready to tune yet :o)

Thank you all for your support

Cheers

Erik

crazy afr table.jpg