AT Tyres for 18" alloys

ThreeSheds

Hi, 

Firstly let me apologise for this post if the topic has already been covered... I really thought that it would have been but I can't find it...

What I am after is advice WRT the biggest AT tyres for my Disco 2 with 18" alloys and standard suspension.

I am thinking BF GOODRICH ATKO2 at the moment and think that I may be able to go to 265/60R18 (standard are 255/55)

Does anyone have any experience of what does and doesn't fit? 

Cheers, Roger

I think the 265/60R18 will fit, I had 255/70R16 which are only 0.5" smaller diameter and had no issues with those. One problem you run in to is that over about 255/70R16 the spare tyre will barely clear the rear bumper to close the door, but you can get upwards offset wheelcarriers to compensate for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BogMonster said:

I think the 265/60R18 will fit, I had 255/70R16 which are only 0.5" smaller diameter and had no issues with those. One problem you run in to is that over about 255/70R16 the spare tyre will barely clear the rear bumper to close the door, but you can get upwards offset wheelcarriers to compensate for that.

Thanks for that info. WRT the spare wheel carrier, you can (with a little work) invert them which gets another couple of inches I believe... :)

• 3 weeks later...

I love the smell of (new) rubber in the mornings...

20180529_112904.thumb.jpg.28dc33d0e1239ddf512614307e9a70b3.jpg

Any suggestions for pressures? A 'bloke dahn the pub' said 28psi all round and, although that feels nice I think it might be a bit on the low side...

I run our 255/60 18 grabbers at 3 bar ~42 psi all round.

Seem to be wearing well apart from the old front set, you can't set D2 tracking with baler band it seems...

Will.

On 03/06/2018 at 12:15 PM, BogMonster said:

Tsk, you put them on the wrong way around :rolleyes:

;):D 

Before anyone takes this literally, these are not directional tyres - although it would have been nice to see the offside patterns the other way round :)

Every morning when I open the barn I get a glorious rubber smell wafting out - I wonder how long that will last... :(

3 hours ago, ThreeSheds said:

;):D 

Before anyone takes this literally, these are not directional tyres - although it would have been nice to see the offside patterns the other way round :)

Every morning when I open the barn I get a glorious rubber smell wafting out - I wonder how long that will last... :(

Yes they are, the white lettering should be facing out :P

When I used to sell tyres (among other things) we used to keep a lot of them in 20ft shipping containers. A whole container-load of tyres is gloriously rubbery when you open the door :moglite::ph34r: