TD5 Defender will not start!

I have a 1999 TD5 Defender that will not start. I have tried everything I can think of with no success. So I am looking for some new ideas. Here is a list of the things I have tried so far.  It stalled while driving, I restarted to get it home. After that it would not start again.

Replaced fuel filter and later the fuel pump. (No result).

Ran the fuel system purge repeatedly. 

Checked ECU connector and found oil. Cleaned; still nothing. 

Checked crankcase oil for signs of Diesel. Diesel engine

Changed injector seals, copper washers  and injector loom.

Still will not start and nothing coming out the tail pipe when cranking.   

Checked CPS. Pretty dirty so I cleaned and tested with ohm meter.

Reads correct (1.24 kohms) tested connectivity from CPS to ECU, also tested good.                                                                                 

Held Rag soaked with petrol up to breather intake while cranking the engine and the engine tries to fire with smoke coming out the tail pipe. Take rag away and nothing, no smoke.                                     

It acts like it is getting no fuel to the injectors. Disconnected fuel line going to the fuel regulator and put the end of the line into a can. Turned on the fuel pump for a second and the can was half full of fuel. Did the same to the line coming out of the regulator with the same result.

The ECU seems to be working properly; The correct lights come on when cranking; (glow plug, engine, oil, battery) and all go out if you leave it on. Also, I can set alarm and deactivate with no issues

Not sure what else to look at, any help would be appreciated.

The gauges act normally . The fuel gauge rises up to near half a tank and the temp gauge moves up into the blue. They stay there while cranking the engine. 

I would love to check the fault codes. But I don't have a Nanocom nor do I know anyone who does.  Not a lot of LR shops in the area.  There is a dealership about 50k from here but I don't have any info on their service dept. So far i have not replaced anything that I didn't have a spare for or found that it needed replacing after investigation. 

Yes you can. 

Though you will need to take the wiring loom as well, so they have an OBD port to connect the reader to. 

And all sensors, so the reader can measure the inputs and outputs, and stop new faults being raised. 

And the injectors, so the values can be checked. 

Will need to take an engine to put the injectors and sensors in, or they won't work properly and will generate fault codes. 

there's no diesel there will be faults raised, so will need to take the tank & pump. 

And a battery. 

Probably easier to take a reader to the car. 

LOL...

Had the strangest thing happen. I was testing the output of the CPS while cranking and the engine came to life. I revved it up and it ran for a few seconds then stalled. I started it right up again and it ran for about a min then stalled. Now I can not get it to start again. i can't seem to replicate what ever it was i did. 

Might just be a damaged wire or connector on the CPS then - if the engine's ever been out it's easy to forget to unplug it and stretch the cable out.  if there's no signal from the CPS, the engine will not run.

Fuel problems don't tend to be intermitent with TD5's,  it certainly sounds more like an electrical issue.

Agreed... I don't think the engine has ever been out and I tested the wires from the CPS connector to the ECU connector and they were good.  So it is either the CPS or the connectors themselves not making good contact.  At this point I can't see the problem being the ECU. It gives no indication that it is not it perfect working order. (other than not starting) Also I can't see that it would just decide to start working for a few minutes like it did today.                                                               

Changed out the CPS but it did not fix the problem. I managed to get it to start for about 20 seconds while wiggling the red connector on the ECU, but could not repeat.  I also tested the fuel pressure at the regulator and it had 4 bar.

I had a problem with the starting of my Td5 a while back and it turned out to be a wire problem at the fuse box. seems the vibrations has chaffed through the insulation on a core and that was stopping me getting fuel sorted that and ran the auto bleed but still nothing. A simple bump start got me going and since then it starts fine. 

I did a bump start and it didn't even try. It appears that I am not getting fuel to the injectors. I can crank it all day and it never gets a whiff of smoke out the tail pipe. I do get 4 bar at the fuel regulator though. I think it could be the ECU or the CPS, even though I changed the CPS out. I have a code reader on the way to see what that tells me.

• 2 weeks later...

PrettyGood and Kitai,

I see that neither of you have included your location, not even your country, in your profile.  This makes it impossible for any Forum member to offer you practical on-site help, and they might be just down the road from you!  Please,  think about adding these details to your profiles.  Only you will benefit.

Mike