Steering wheel replacement - What size and which boss?

Hi,

I'm thinking about replacing the steering wheel on my 1989 One Ten and I'm looking for some advice/opinions on Boss & wheel diameter please.

I currently have a 16" diameter wheel and 36 spline (17mm ish) shaft. 

Firstly the Boss. Any recommendations? I assume they come with indicator cancelling pins and I would like a fairly short one so it doesn't bring the wheel any closer to my getting-larger-stomach. Is there a big difference between them or are they all pretty much the same? Would this Raptor 4x4 one fit the most common wheel makes that are available?

Secondly, What diameter wheel have you fitted and how do you find it? Would a 14" feel too small after years with a 16" or what about a 15"? Or did you replace yours with a 16"? Opinions please!

Thanks,

Heds

I had a springalex boss on my series and my 90, they were cheap but a bit nastily made...

On the 110 I've got an RDX slimline boss which is thinner and better made, but a bit more expensive. The main benefit of the thinner boss is that the indicator / wiper stalks are within easy reach - with a thicker boss they can be a struggle to reach when grabbing the wheel.

IIRC there's 2 main bolt patterns for the wheels themselves - most aftermarket wheels are one type, apart from a couple of brands - see http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/steering-wheel-bolt-patterns.html

I've got a Momo Monte Carlo (I think 370mm) mounted on the 110 - with PAS it's fine and doesn't feel small to me. If you want a handy tip to get a cheap wheel - most mk1 MX5s have a Momo Monte Carlo as standard, with a centre cover that says mazda on them. You can pull this off to reveal a nice looking 3 spoke metal wheel complete with horn push!

As there's lots of old MX5s about they go pretty cheaply - I paid a tenner for a perfect condition one. The going rate from a breaker is £30-50 which is still cheap though!

http://www.autolinkmx5.com/steering-wheel-mx-5-momo-370mm-used-35-7610-p.asp

Edited by =jon=