If you value this forum's future please support us
Wheely

Defender overhaul: new seals - to be bought this weekend ;)

Posted (edited)
Hello!

Wheely, my 1995 Defender converted to 6x4, is to undergone very soon a complete repaint and I am going to take the opportunity to change all the seals.

The seals I'd like to change are the following
  • front and rear door seals: I see there are 2 seals now on each, one attached on the door, and one attached on the body-work. Can you please specify which are the ones to be bought for the front doors and which ones for the back doors
  • front windscreen seal as it has been eating up by the Ghanaian sun
  • bulk-head seal between the windscreen and the vents- the one that can be seen in this pic (https://goo.gl/images/Ye7DNV)
  • vents seals: I see that there are ones made of rubber or made of foam - any preference?
  • door hinges seals (the plastic pieces that are between the door and the hinge) - worthwhile replacing these are well?  (I will also be putting hinge-guards)
  • door handles worth doing?
  • any other bodywork seal that would be worthwhile replacing whilst I am at it?
I would love if you could confirm the part numbers and whether you suggest any particular type of them (with wire inside, material, etc..)

Thanks a lot,

Simone
Edited by Wheely

Great stuff Western! you are always a saviour!  I have found all the part numbers of the bits I think I need to change which are the door seals, door sill seals, flap seal, bulkhead drain channel seal - any other seals I should change whilst I am stripping the car?

Is it best to buy the LR parts or Britparts are fine?

Genuine LR can be expensive, some Britparts parts are OK, otherwise Bearmach, Allmakes, from suppliers like Brit-car for example.

cool - thanks Western!

After going through the  whole parts book for body and chassis I think I identified pretty much all the parts I should change whilst stripping the car (about 20 parts). For the front door can you confirm that is just the weatherstrip and door sill seal? Mine currently has a 3rd seal as well but can't find it in the parts books (one attached to door, one to bodywork, and one to sill).

Some websites (LRdirect.com) state that the parts on lrseries.com are superseded with other parts that are still compatible with my type of defender (rather than the PUMA for example) - so I am now confused as to which part is best fit for my type of defender (VIN: TA975201), it'd great if you could confirm which one would be best suited:

• Weatherstrip - front Door LH: either part number CFE102991 or LR077686 ?
  • Weatherstrip - front Door RH: either part number LR024956 or LR077683 or LR077684 ?
  • Weatherstrip - front Door LH: either part number CFE103011 or LR077683 or LR077684 ?
  • fillerstrip - Seal - Roof Side Moulding: 302178 or DBF500040? Also, would 1 meter suffice for both windows?
  • SEAL ROOF TO WINDSCREEN CORNER: MUC6400 or LR055343?
  • BULKHEAD TO WINDSCREEN SEAL - ADHESIVE FAJ100020 or LR055345 
  • WINDSCREEN RUBBER SEAL MUC3733 or LR056278 
  • rear window glasing strip MWC4772 or CGE500660
  • HARD TOP REAR GLASS SEAL FILLER STRIP 306289 or CHB500050

Also, this is the gasket from the door hinge to the bodywork (347369), are there no other gaskets/seals that need to be changed for the 4 hinges?

I will buy it out as soon as get the confirmation :)

Cheers,

Simone

Hey @western without having to go through each part - is there a way for me to check which one of the two proposed parts would be best fit for my truck? I already had in the past the experience of buying parts that the component website was suggesting as correct for my Defender type and then it didn't fit, hence I'd like to avoid to do it again :)

on 300tdi on the lower door seal was on the door, before that it was on the sill, so someone has fitted both to your vehicle, either will do the job.

the parts suppliers will quite often list the newer part number if LR have change it 7 LRSeries for example tell you the older/original part number, so either should be fine.

fillerstrip - Seal - Roof Side Moulding: 302178 or DBF500040? Also, would 1 meter suffice for both windows? at least 2 metres for each roof window & same for the locking strip that fits in it. these normally come in the correct length anyway, I recently bought 2 sets off ebay for my alpine roof windows, not yet fitted them.

only the plastic bits between door pillars & hinges

• Thanks 1

Great thanks! all clear now!

So both parts will fit, only that the newer part number might have a more recent design and hence could be better that the original replacement part number - is my assumption correct?

Alpine glass can be either 4mm or 5mm thick , so if you don't know what you have I'd go with seals to suit 5mm

cheers

Steve b

great stuff guys! I have bought it all and it should get to me in a few days! I will do a video of the various seal changes.

Are there any videos/guidelines on how I could change these various seals?