OIL LEAKS AND TD4 PISTON REMOVAL.

smallfry

I seem to have a big problem with oil leaking from behind the engine somewhere. I have not really had time to investigate properly yet, but from what I have seen on the net, seems like these engines are prone to this.

I have read about misplaced grommets and a bolt/plug missing or left out..............although I do not know which one yet.

Of more concern to me though, is the puffing from the crankcase when I remove the oil filler cap. It seems excessive to me, compared to other vehicles I have available to try. I have checked the breather, but have found it is fitted with the later "vortex" type, so it is not a blocked filter.

I am thinking of changing the piston rings, but wanted to know if the pistons can be removed with the engine it situ ? The manual I have suggests the engine has to be removed first..............

Any ideas ?

I don't know what is "normal" for these, Fridge.

I have been looking at it today, between the showers, and it looks like it has been leaking for some time, judging by the amount of oily grime under there. Even with the undertray and side coversĀ  off, I can't make out any one place that the oil is coming from, although it looks like coming from the top somewhere. However, I did find a nozzle from a mastic gun with cured clear silicone inside, which appears to have been used around the valve cover area. It has a noisy tappet/lifter, so maybe there has been an unsuccessful attempt to fix it.

As its almost impossible to get at the turbo and associated hoses, looks like I might have to drop the engine in any case, to check it all out.

I hate oil leaks