GKN Overdrive Strip Down

Sorry. I thought you had it out and was sharing your frustration. My tip is above in the middle of my posts. Read the bit from 'Now even sneakier...' you need a small hooked tool to get underneath one end of the circlip to hook it out of the groove. Then a screwdriver or second hooked tool to hold it out as you work your way round easing it gradually out of the groove. Circlip pliers are useless in there as it has no tabs for them. 

8 hours ago, reb78 said:

Sorry. I thought you had it out and was sharing your frustration. My tip is above in the middle of my posts. Read the bit from 'Now even sneakier...' you need a small hooked tool to get underneath one end of the circlip to hook it out of the groove. Then a screwdriver or second hooked tool to hold it out as you work your way round easing it gradually out of the groove. Circlip pliers are useless in there as it has no tabs for them. 

Thanks @reb78  Yep I'd followed that bit, it's still an awkward little sod.  I've even got some proper circlip pliers which get me started but there's not enough space to then get the back out the groove.  Give it a go with a few more screwdrivers tonight.

4 hours ago, Ibex94 said:

Thanks @reb78  Yep I'd followed that bit, it's still an awkward little sod.  I've even got some proper circlip pliers which get me started but there's not enough space to then get the back out the groove.  Give it a go with a few more screwdrivers tonight.

Its just a case of fiddling and levering gently. Move the pump so you have as much room as possible where you are levering. Make a couple of little levers like I did (old arc rod ends worked well for me - bend, trim and file them). It will flick off many times.... make sure noone is in earshot of the swearing. 

9 hours ago, reb78 said:

Its just a case of fiddling and levering gently. Move the pump so you have as much room as possible where you are levering. Make a couple of little levers like I did (old arc rod ends worked well for me - bend, trim and file them). It will flick off many times.... make sure noone is in earshot of the swearing. 

I found a ready made alternative to bent welding rods - the eyes of split pins.  Use a pair starting from one end, leave one behind close to the end then work the other one round helped with a screw driver or scriber.  Came out a treat - no bad language😇

3 minutes ago, Ibex94 said:

I found a ready made alternative to bent welding rods - the eyes of split pins.  Use a pair starting from one end, leave one behind close to the end then work the other one round helped with a screw driver or scriber.  Came out a treat - no bad language😇

Ahh I like that! 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ibex94 said:

Excellent. I never would have thought of that!

• Thanks 1