Hopefully be the owner of a 2000 defender td5

Hi all, my names Adam,
Im a keen metal Detectorist, motorcyclist, and camper.
Tomorrow (16.5.18) im going to look at a LR Defender 110 TD5 Country - Expedition Spec
It will be my first ever Land Rover - and I know nothing about them, apart from they good off roaders which will be great for my camping and metal detecting.

Here are the specs - Any pointers very welcome.

12 MONTHS MOT + 6 MONTHS WARRANTY* 2001 X LAND ROVER DEFENDER 110 2.5TD5 COUNTY SPEC UTILITY 5 SEATER, REBUILT & PREPARED IN 2016 WITH £££'s SPENT ON NEW PARTS INCLUDING GALVANISED CHASSIS, 16" BOOST ALLOY WHEELS FITTED WITH DISCOVERER COOPER AT TYRES, Four wheel-drive, Blue, FULL LENGTH ROOF RACK WITH REAR LADDER, UPGRADED HEADLIGHTS & SIDE LIGHTS, DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM, FRONT BUMPER, LIGHT GUARDS, OLD MAN EMU SUSPENSION, ELECTRICAL POINTS & MUCH MORE,

the garage is looking for just shy of 13k - Is that about right?
I have also printed a list of things to check from LRO.com

I look forward to hearing from you all soon.

Kind regards

Adam

Who is the dealer? Some are brilliant, but some are crooks, so who is selling it? Post the name on here and see if you get any reaction.

Is it theirs or is it on consignment? If it is theirs, then sale of good act applies. If it is on consignment then it can be hard to pin it on them, (although they will still be liable).

6 months warranty. Insurance backed or return to supplying dealer for rectification? Maximum claim value? Any specific exclusions? A warranty is only as good as the person who backs it. Read the fine print!

Any pictures?

Never buy a Land Rover on age or mileage. Condition is the only thing that matters and can be a pain to establish. Take someone who knows about Land Rovers and won't get carried away by the emotion of getting a new toy.

The price is neither here nor there - at £13k it could be a bargain or a money pit. 

Looks to be this one? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-X-LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-110-2-5TD5-COUNTY-SPEC-UTILITY-LOTS-OF-EXTRAS-/192534174100

All I can say is don't be distracted by its appearance. The real stuff is underneath. Use the guides you've found online to check the problem areas. I would spend at least 2 hours checking over the vehicle for that kind of age and money.

Also, it looks like a double cab converted to a utility wagon. The rear tub has marks where the hood cord hasps were, the rear crossmember has the brackets for a dropdown tailgate and the roof is from a hardtop (no alpine windows).

So it may have had a great deal of work doing to it, of unknown competence.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but that is just fu##ing awful! What a hideous piece of tat! ( sorry, that was own biased opinion, others may luv it🤡)

Dont know it's suitable for metal detecting or wild camping, be more use driving along Brighton seafront wearing a pink scarf.

Edited by Yostumpy
  • Haha 1

My advice would be to buy a standard and unmodified, not-messed-about example, with good service history and a rust-free chassis and body. Sounds like the holy grail I know but there are hundreds of these things out there, don’t let anyone tell you they’re ‘proper rare now mate’. 

It’s easy enough to add all the extra stuff later if you want to but in my experience some of the ones that have been best looked after are the bog standard ones while I have seen plenty of blinged-up off-road machines reminiscent of the fast show which have been neglected in terms of general maintenance.

• Like 1

looks better , but way overpriced I think for an 04 TD5, and whats with that 4" lift kit!! looks about to fall over, bet the uj's will have had a hard time coping with those angles. Agree std is best.  A really nice totally std green TD5, with a white roof, and std white wheels wheels, is a rare thing nowdays, so much so, that they stand out more than one with all the bolt on tat.  good luck with your search, and don't rush.

if you want to wild camp, blend in with the country side, and not look out of place parked in a farmers field whilst detecting, then personally i would have this one. BUT your tastes may be entirely different. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201804235819999?make=LAND ROVER&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&price-from=500&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&postcode=da110lh&model=DEFENDER 110&page=4

admittedly the x member has been 'repaired' but even factoring in a new one, its a good price., but should last a few years 'as is'

Edited by Yostumpy
  • Like 1

As above, buy as standard as you can and then change what you need.  Buying something that has already been fiddled with normally causes problems, especially with the mods to the vehicles you have picked out; there seems to be a pattern of wide wheels, aftermarket sills and bumpers with roof racks.  Those features do not define an expedition vehicle, especially the bumper.  Genuine exped vehicles are typically very standard mechanically and in appearance, with only practical mods like long range fuel tanks, water tanks (can be fitted, but many view water cans as more practical) and storage systems.  Big wheels increase fuel consumption, decrease performance in most conditions and increase mechanical issues.  Non standard bumpers are an insurance issue, so be careful.