Venturing off road again.......

bishbosh

P38’s rust too. The 96 one we stripped for the 4.6 V8 had heavily rusted outriggers, rear crossmember, and EAS tank. The main chassis was fine though.

Another thing to remember on D2’s, as well as the rust, the majority don’t have diff lock, so you’ll most likely have to retrofit one.

As already said both the 4.0 and 4.6 can suffer from the slipped liners, so both D2 & P38 are the same here. 

Most of the electrical gremlins on a p38 can be bypassed easily.

A p38 on air is a better drive than a D2, but for off-roading, HD steering arms, suspension, bumpers etc. are readily available and cheap.

have fun picking one :)

There are a few HD bumper options. Have a look on eBay and some of the sellers. Prices aren’t dissimilar for the same type of bunper for a D1/2. 

Both front and rear available and I think some sill bars. Not sure the bumpers I’ve seen are winch ones. But could probably be adapted easily. 

There are a choice of rims. No need for lift kits with the air suspension. Although Arnott Gen III’s offer extended travel. 

Only thing I’ve not really seen are steering guards or snorkels. But they might be available too. 

Steering guard isn't really necessary as there's a beefy bit of chassis in front of the steering bars. There are snorkels, but they're all pig ugly. On the GEMS it's fairly easy to fit an RRC one through the bonnet, one the later Bosch it's a bit harder because the ECU is in the way.

19 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Pre 1999 p38s have 2 wheel traction control (rear). However it’s unclesr if this was on all models when I’ve Googled. I’m sure someone knows but it’s certaibly suggested it was optional on lower end models or not available.

Definitely not standard on lower end early P38s - the DT I had (i.e. lowest of the low) had no traction control at all.

• Thanks 1

All these points being mentioned. My personal recommendation would still be the Jeep Cherokee. 

The 4.0 litre not the 2.5 or diesel. The 4.0 litre has a centre diff the others don’t. And can still run 2wd as well. 

I’d go for a facelift one (indicators at the front and grill look slightly different). I forget the exact year. They are galvanised from the factory. 

A 2” budget boost lift will be needed. Easy to fit and about £100. Then either some wider offset rims or spacers and 31.10.50R15 tyres.  

Right so I am looking for a post 2000 P38 then or a non rusty D2? (definitely staying LR or I'd be looking at a 'cruiser too!)

Admittedly for green laning I can't see a lack of HDC being the end of the world but cheap bolt on bits may sway me more towards the D2 as time and space for fabrication is going to be non existent for the next little while.

Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for all the advice, keep it coming!

Edited by bishbosh

28 minutes ago, bishbosh said:

Admittedly for green laning I can't see a lack of HDC being the end of the world

You won't miss it for laning, no. For some tougher off-road it might be nice, but I've never not been able to manually control my braking adequately.

Or get the manual, then you have a proper ratio first gear and don't need it at all.

Just to add, the P38 only had a manual option for the 4.0 SE GEMS. So if you want a manual, you'll lose the 4 wheel TC. 2 wheel TC available, but not standard on SE (neither of mine have it, so I fitted Ashroft airlockers, powered from the EAS tank).

I do agree the P38 is the better choice. The Disco2 feels larger/higher/heavier, and for offroad you'd have to find one with a difflock. The availability of offroad goodies is a plus though. But most things can be adapted or made for a P38 as well. Only thing I really miss are HD CVs and halfshafts, not something you'll need for greenlaning.

Filip

D2 chassis seem to have less structural integrity than an over-dipped HobNob, guy in our club had a rear 1/4 chassis done on his very tidy D2 yet people are beating much older D1's and RRC's around with no chassis issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously Bish, forget D2s, I have seen too many fall to bits structurally, they rot from the inside too so they look fine one minute and are shot full of holes the following morning with no warning.

I do love P38s, both mine have been troublesome to the point of being annoying. They are brilliant but it'll let you down far too much.

My advice? find a really smart D1 V8, you'll never lose a bean on it now unless you go daft and roll it.

Will :-)

Always going to be a V8, so don't worry yourselves on that front. I have made the Tdi mistake once and wont be going back!

The D1 V8 is a good call but the lure of shag pile carpets is drawing me back to the P38:lol:

Got a few leads I am following up but wont be doing anything until the middle of August after I have successfully navigated Western France in the FFRR without my wallet expiring! :D 

15 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

p38_7s.jpg.5560ce75006055933ef5f6c4b2b2cb19.jpg

This is where I hope I will end up, although with a lot less gubbins on the roof.! It's been a while since I fabbed bumpers so will have to break out the ceral packets again!

1 hour ago, bishbosh said:

This is where I hope I will end up, although with a lot less gubbins on the roof.! It's been a while since I fabbed bumpers so will have to break out the ceral packets again!

A blast from the past, 15-16 years ago, but here’s some pics of excellent front bumper that Nick made for me...

large.FEF8C367-D8D8-40F3-870D-A3BB14B47934.jpeg.511dee4b930ae18f8ec45e79bacdc3e9.jpeg

I have more more pics from all angles and of the bumper off the RR if you need them. 

The rear bumper was easily solved with a jigsaw, rear exhaust boxes replaced with straight through, and never had any issues after this mod, mostly as I only hit trees going forward. ;)

large.C54EF7CB-33C3-44E6-B550-2B5B0103D7EE.jpeg.06c763d523018b0faa591013c51a6e6e.jpeg

large.5E1F49E0-60FC-418D-AB45-60CEEBD3436B.jpeg.db691483ffbba0edac27207557a3d215.jpeg

Just looked it up on MOT history and it’s still MOT’d and seemingly going strong, even after all that early abuse. ;)

cheers, Steve 

• Like 1